Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    I Am, Who I Am.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    15,657
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Tis the season to be buying?

    Turns out my PC is 3.5 years old now, and it's getting pretty sluggish.
    Sure a reformat would probably help out, but i'd just like to start from scratch.

    I havent looked in to seriously getting parts for about that long of time too, every now and then looking at the new fancy things like SSDs and new CPU architects.

    So my question really isnt what shoud I buy, it's when.

    It used to be that late summer / early fall is when companys would release their newest toys, and lower their lower end models down in price. But now that it's almost blackfriday/christmas season, would it be best to wait another month? or is now as a good as time as any?

    Im also looking for newer / higher end parts, so chances are that they go on sale or have there prices lowered are slimmer.

    Im also not sure I want to wait around for Ivy Bridge either, id be happy with an i7 Sandy Bridge probably. Though im sure when Ivy Bridge does come out, it will make Sandy Bridge much cheaper.. but that wont be for another 2~5 months.

  2. #2
    2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    If you're happy with i7 and current-gen video card tech, buy now.

    If you can wait, Sandy Bridge E and/or Ivy Bridge will either beat the original Sandy Bridge, or force prices lower. I view AMD as non-competitive at this point, since Bulldozer is basically crap.

  3. #3
    Drunken Red Mage
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,907
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    My current PC is ~4 years old now and I just ordered upgrades this week. My hand was kinda forced by my current PC dying but hey, I'm happy with the deals. I scoured newegg for a couple of days finding good prices on stuff and pulled the trigger. All month they are running "Black November" deals and they've always got their shellshockers and daily deals too. If you're lucky you'll find some good sales, there are plenty to be had. I got a completely brand new setup with 2 24" monitors for ~$1500 and I had $120 in instant savings and $95 in MIR. I'm happy with the deals I got now, glad I didn't wait until Black Friday or I'd go crazy without my gaming PC; using my wife's old POS is making me go crazy.

  4. #4
    Kevin Chang
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    10,681
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    You mention SSDs, I am sure there will be some SSDs on sale during Black Friday. The branding/quality could be questionable though, I highly doubt there will be very many Intel drives for instance.

    On that note...

    http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/6202...tate-drive-ssd

    This is an excellent deal for an Intel SSD if you can handle the 80gb cap. I recently switched to this drive recently on my laptop, paid about this amount for a used drive, and it was worth it.