Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58
  1. #1
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20,043
    BG Level
    10

    Alleya, and or shiro, i need help with science!

    I am looking for scientific articles that show behavior or social forces cause changes in brain cells or the way brain cells are organized. For example, i once saw a reference to an article mentioning that a study was done on the brains of transsexuals before they changed their gender and after, and it was found that before, they had brain structure that was more male, but after years of living as a different gender, brain structure was more female. I was never able to find this article, and nor does a single article on this sort of phenomenon sound convincing.

    So essentially, i need articles that show that voluntary behavior on the part of an individual can lead to neurobiological changes in themselves. A perfect example of this is how an individual may chose to train their left hand, when they are right handed, and cause their brain to rewire in such a way as to accommodate growing dexterity with the left hand. I need more examples of that, preferably with things that people tend to think of as unchangeable.

  2. #2
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    I'll see if I can do a literature search or something.

  3. #3
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20,043
    BG Level
    10

    Thank you shirwa

  4. #4
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    This might be a good starting point for further searches because it's likely to be cited/cite relevant papers:
    http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/85/5/2034.short

    I'll keep looking for something more specific though.

  5. #5
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Trouble is that you really are looking for a very specific study.
    It's also not easy research to control, either.

  6. #6
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20,043
    BG Level
    10

    Yea, i like my science hardcore

  7. #7
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    I'm only glancing at abstracts btw:
    http://www.mendeley.com/research/neu...rmone-therapy/

  8. #8
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20,043
    BG Level
    10

    Oh by the way, i'm not exclusively requesting research relating to transsexuals, just that the particular research i mentioned in the OP was an example of what i meant in terms of conduct creating a sort of feed back effect on the brain itself.

  9. #9
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Oh by the way, i'm not exclusively requesting research relating to transsexuals, just that the particular research i mentioned in the OP was an example of what i meant in terms of conduct creating a sort of feed back effect on the brain itself.
    Oh, ok, I see. I should be able to find plenty of stuff on that.
    If you use the example of training your left hand, I'm assuming you wouldn't mind articles pertaining to neurobiological adapations in response to some sort of skill? It'd shock me if no one's done some sort of neuroimaging or something with musicians before.

  10. #10
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,667
    BG Level
    8

    why do you need science articles? All my beliefs are based upon things I've made up so just imagine you read an article that said all that stuff and then tell people about it as fact

  11. #11
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Seems like a pretty solid review of what I just said: http://www.sciandmed.com/mppa/journa...=3&search=true

    I totally do not have access, maybe I'll have to try going in through my uni's VPN.

  12. #12
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Haha, wow, doing a literature search for tons of articles that i will never read. Well, I'll glance over interesting ones.

    Feels like grad school.

  13. #13
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,667
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
    why do you need science articles? All my beliefs are based upon things I've made up so just imagine you read an article that said all that stuff and then tell people about it as fact
    In fact the 2003 article by Mitchell et al proved this was the "best way to believe the bestest things"

  14. #14
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    I am truly shocked that I have access to that article, lol.

  15. #15
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    This seems like it might be relevant/cite/be cited by something relevant: http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/con...5/8/1089.short

  16. #16
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    First sentence of the abstract says exactly what I was thinking: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...9.04852.x/full

    I'll try focusing on something else. Your transexual example is going to be hard to find good research on. It's almost always going to be in comparison to heteronormative individuals, or pre-/post-hormonal changes.

  17. #17
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Which is a shame, really.

  18. #18
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20,043
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiroikage View Post
    Oh, ok, I see. I should be able to find plenty of stuff on that.
    If you use the example of training your left hand, I'm assuming you wouldn't mind articles pertaining to neurobiological adapations in response to some sort of skill? It'd shock me if no one's done some sort of neuroimaging or something with musicians before.
    Yes, skill development and neurobiological adaption would be useful.

  19. #19
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    It's really impossible to do research on simple behavioural changes that don't require specific training because no one is going to ever believe your results.

  20. #20
    I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20,043
    BG Level
    10

    Btw, if you don't see me respond to this thread, it's because i'm working on an essay on transcranial magnetic stimulation, but while searching that it occurred to me that i really want info on neurobiological adaption in relation to the subject's own behavior, so i decided to ask for you guys to help me out searching for that while i work on TMS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast