1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 13 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 10 hours, 21 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 5 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 1 days, 3 hours, 21 minutes
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 141
  1. #1
    Tom Wilson will never be good.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    Button Mashing 2014: Now with more "real BRDs" and invisible tests from both contestants

    The difference is insanely tiny, it was parsed to see the difference in macro vs pre-loading skills and the difference was so tiny that missing one proc manually, is probably already worse. People really try to cling to omg I'm so much better cause I hit every button manually but it is not in fact "dramatically better" in the slightest. It is possible it could be "SLIGHTLY" better but you would need pretty good apm and concentration to keep it up for it to pull ahead at all.

  2. #2
    Tom Wilson will never be good.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    We had multiple BRDs go and test with and without macros, they all parsed almost exactly the same either way. You must have a ton of completely shit BRDs on your server. There is 0 way any nub ass BRD even with god tier korean SC2 apm skills will even come close to parsing anywhere near my i90 macro bashing BRD. Just because some nub new 50 BRD outparsed some Allagan BRD, doesn't prove non-macro micro managing is better, it proves the Allagan BRD is severely retarded and doesn't understand BRD at all.

    Also, seeing as, unless you have an alt, you don't even have 50 BRD, idk why we care what your super elite korean apm BRD buddies claim because real BRDs, even some I think are slitghtly retarded at times, have actually tested macro vs non-macro play and have numbers to show for it.

    There is almost 0 difference.

  3. #3
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,139
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Multi-skill macros aren't going to do more damage than manually pressing buttons imo. The difference due to buffering isn't big, but it's all about the playstyle. The person who chooses to use a macro because they don't want to/can't pay attention to bloodletter reset isn't going to fair any better at getting off straight shot right away.

    If you aren't that type of person, and still use macros, then the gap is much smaller-- maybe not even noticeable. However most people are still doing silly things like having bloodletter before heavyshot in their 3-in-1 macro, so most people don't even know what they're doing.

  4. #4
    Tom Wilson will never be good.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    13,471
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    I agree, non-macro, given the ability to concentrate and hit everything properly, will be better. It's just that it's only by a small margin, not some drastic "noob ass brd out parsing an allagan brd" margin like this guy is claiming. If you can do it, go for it, just don't expect that your DPS is suddenly going to spike by 50 points, because it will be more like 10.

  5. #5
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    530
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    The person who chooses to use a macro because they don't want to/can't pay attention to bloodletter reset isn't going to fair any better at getting off straight shot right away.
    Not sure how many people would macro it for that reason, but that's why you use /micon "Bloodletter" in the macro. It's not like you need to know when your GCD is ready.

  6. #6
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,139
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    What other reason is there for that macro besides laziness in not paying attention to bloodletter and misery's end. Most people don't even make the macro correctly and put bloodletter first.

  7. #7
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    530
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadgye View Post
    What other reason is there for that macro besides laziness in not paying attention to bloodletter and misery's end.
    Saving valuable hotbar real estate on a controller.

  8. #8
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by blowfin View Post
    Saving valuable hotbar real estate on a controller.
    ^ I do it so everything can fit on one pallet. The lag between switching sets is going to lower my dps more than having that macro.

  9. #9
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    5,139
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Dead Gye
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    lolps3limitations

  10. #10
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    I play on the pc

  11. #11
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    530
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    ^ I do it so everything can fit on one pallet. The lag between switching sets is going to lower my dps more than having that macro.
    Where have you got your songs? I've stuck mine on hotbar 2, and it's a bit fiddly to get there, but I can usually start singing before the GCD is ready.

    I've actually got a a few abilities set up on an overflow hotbar for war, so I can click on stuff out of the standard rotation. Works pretty well but just wondering how other people deal with it.

    I could probably consolidate more by making a buff macro on Brd, but I like having them separate.

    In reality though my usual order is:
    - Internal Release (Initial DoT's)
    - Hawk's Eye (Fire/feeling punchy)
    - Raging Strikes (feeling punchy)

  12. #12
    D. Ring
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,998
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Raldo Volca
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung

    Songs/BattleVoice/LB/potions on an overflow hotbar, as you call it, for me. I click them with my mouse, since they're never urgent. Gives me enough room for everything on two bars, plus sprint, shadowbind (I never use it, I've just never removed it), and a party-notify silence macro.

    It never seemed worth having combo macros to me, though I can certainly see the argument for controller users.

  13. #13
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by blowfin View Post
    Where have you got your songs? I've stuck mine on hotbar 2, and it's a bit fiddly to get there, but I can usually start singing before the GCD is ready.
    Oh ya, all my songs are on another hotbar, since as you said with those it isn't life or death to hit instantly, and I can get back to the main pallet in more than enough time to start dpsing again. But everything else fits on one bar.

  14. #14
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    770
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Ada Rusheart
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    ^ I do it so everything can fit on one pallet. The lag between switching sets is going to lower my dps more than having that macro.
    Set up the dual trigger redirects, never swap a set again. That addition was seriously amazing for playing Dragoon on a controller.

  15. #15
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    530
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Blowfin Jr
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Set up the dual trigger redirects, never swap a set again. That addition was seriously amazing for playing Dragoon on a controller.
    Very cool, does take a bit of getting used to with locked hotbars though. Have to fight the muscle memory for a couple of days.

    I play on the pc
    Yep, me too. Played XI for 7 years with a controller, It mattered much less for XI because everything was that much slower. But, the controller support for XIV is pretty much exceptional, stuff like the above helps lessen any gaps to where it's almost negligible. For PvP it gets awkward (not a high priority for me anyway) because you're on the move a lot, but for everything else it's just fine. I use a KB + Mouse all day at work, so I'd rather use a controller if I can for gaming.

  16. #16
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Ya, my thing is when I am visiting in-laws which I do about every few weeks to substitute for a few days, I have to play on the PS3. And I fully admit I am not capable enough to remember one setup (pc hotbar version) then switch to another (controller). So I stick to the controller for both.

    I actually prefer a controller over kb + mouse as is, BUT my optimal setup for mmos is my g13 + mouse (with keyboard for typing only). If there was a way to get the g13 to work on a ps3 I'd be all over that.

  17. #17
    Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,687
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    The actual speed difference between spammed macro and buffered non-macro (presuming you ride GCD perfectly at all times) is small enough that if you think it's significant, you should be gearing for skillspeed.

    The idea that macros are only there to supplement laziness is silly. I don't know about you, but my BRD has gotten to the point where I am almost literally mashing a button the entire time I am fighting. Therefore, when BL or ME proc, I don't watch-and-recognize-and-change-input; I do exactly the same thing I was already doing, which is mashing the hell out of whatever attack is next in my rotation. Even if I were paying strict attention to procs, it would not be physically possible for me to change and execute my new desired input faster than I was already mashing the same button. That's not even disputable.

    I think it's trivial that this alone more than makes up for the tiny theoretical advantage of buffered actions vs. macros, and in a real-world situation (where GCDs are not perfectly ridden at all times) the macro advantage is even greater.

  18. #18
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Ya @ spider the whole macro vs. no macro seems completely weird to me.

    I wish you could duel, but I seriously doubt there's going to be that much of a significance, especially in pvp.

  19. #19
    Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    10,160
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

    Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    Ya @ spider the whole macro vs. no macro seems completely weird to me.

    I wish you could duel, but I seriously doubt there's going to be that much of a significance, especially in pvp.
    1vs1 would be kind of pointless and 1 sided haha, especially vs healers (especially sch,although it would be hilarious)

  20. #20
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,830
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    1vs1 would be kind of pointless and 1 sided haha, especially vs healers (especially sch,although it would be hilarious)
    No I meant for testing purposes. ie. fight someone with macros, fight them without to see how you do.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast