Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Swap Magic help     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Swap Magic help

    The old thread disappeared, so I'm asking here.
    I got a Flip Top (and a Slide Card, but trying the flip first) for a SwapMagic 3 on a Fat PS2.
    I followed the instructions and installed it, but its so vague. Now, my PS2 doesn't seem to be able to read discs at all, and when I close the tray, it doesnt close all the way without me nudging it.

    Is there anything I'm supposed to be screwing back in after I install it? The directions don't explain anything at all and I'm confused

  2. #2
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    Hmm, now the CD tray won't even close all the way, it seems off balance

    Edit: Fixed that, still won't read DVDs though

  3. #3
    Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,075
    BG Level
    8

    Re: Swap Magic help

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYtIRQcRLGI

    I run all my ISO straight from the hdd (thx FFXI), however, I know the "how-tos" with the slide card, so let me know if you have any questions ;o

  4. #4
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    Thanks for the link.

    Uh, my swap magic didnt come with any of that stuff in the bag he had, all I got was a case and the DVD + CD...there was a slide tool in the box as well, which i didn't order lol

  5. #5
    Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,075
    BG Level
    8

    Re: Swap Magic help

    <_<

    Well, once you are ready to try with with the slide card I'll help you out, you just have to carefully remove the cd tray plastic cover (where the PS logo is). You can also make your slide card from old credit cards and shit, very easy to do. I don't know if you have the ps hdd but it'd be better to run all from the hdd (if you bought FFXI for PS 2 you are set) so you won't have to do the swapping/burning all the time (I only used SM like 3x to install ELF files, those are like .exe files to run various homebrew apps.).

  6. #6
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    I sadly don't have a HDD.

    To use the slide card I assume I'm going ot have to uninstall the Flip Cover? Is there any reason I didn't get all of the pieces for it?

  7. #7
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: Swap Magic help

    You got all the pieces for it, you're probably either installing it wrong or you're doing SOMETHING wrong.

    I suggest you just install the regular cover back and use the slide tool... it might fuck your dvd drive up in the long run, but it'll work. (and the drive won't work by itself eventually, you'll need to push it or pull it with the slide thing, but who cares?)

  8. #8
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    Are you sure? What could I possibly be doing wrong? In that video, the guy has a bag labelled V4 with little pieces that he sticks inside, I don't have anything like that.

    http://www.swapmagic3.com/Flip_Top_Install.htm
    I followed that to the letter for my V4 PS2.

    Sometimes if I press really hard on the Flip Top lid, it sounds like the disc is spinning really quickly, and it'll tell me that I'm not using a valid PS2 disc. (It'll say this for any real PS2 disc I put in as well)

  9. #9
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: Swap Magic help

    I don't have any personal experiences with that since my swap magic is on my slim ps2 which uses different tools (magic keys..), but i'm assuming that if it's not working them you did something wrong during the installation.. there shouldn't be a problem as far as I know with the tools, and if you bought it from a reliable (if they can even be labeled as "reliable"..) mod site then there's no reason they didn't send you all the tools needed to boot it up.

    Are you sure everything's in place?

  10. #10
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    I'm pretty sure, I mean, it was just a simple case swap I think...

  11. #11
    Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,075
    BG Level
    8

    Re: Swap Magic help

    Depends where you bought it, the vid I linked had some extra parts, but you don't need em, just the top itself. Like Exo mentioned, I think you screwed something with the installation. Maybe wanna give this one a try: Flip top instructions. And for version V4 PS 2 V4 Make sure that everything is in place. And yes, to try the slide card you'd have to put it back to its original form.

  12. #12
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    I screwed everything in tighter, and put a book on top of the console, it seems to work now

  13. #13
    Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,447
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    Re: Swap Magic help

    Yeah when I got my top loader for my PS2 it was having trouble close, but once I slammed it shut it started to close smoothly every time. Swap Magic FTW. Does anyone have a small silver PS2 and Swap Magic? I was wondering how the switches work for it since I heard they are different from the black version.

  14. #14
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11,713
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Re: Swap Magic help

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterBob
    I screwed everything in tighter, and put a book on top of the console, it seems to work now
    There you go then heh..

  15. #15
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    Quote Originally Posted by Larsa
    Yeah when I got my top loader for my PS2 it was having trouble close, but once I slammed it shut it started to close smoothly every time. Swap Magic FTW. Does anyone have a small silver PS2 and Swap Magic? I was wondering how the switches work for it since I heard they are different from the black version.
    Did you install switches on your fat black version? I didn't have any lol...

    Having trouble getting some burned discs to play now, i wonder if Sony DVD+R media isn't the right choice

  16. #16
    Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,447
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    Re: Swap Magic help

    OH no no I bought the top loader for my big PS2. I'm asking about the magic switches because I am thinking about buying them for my silver slim PS2. Just wanted to know if they worked out well for anyone else.

    At first I used HP DVD+R's, still work great. Bought a 100 spindle of JVC DVD+R's and they are also working good. Just burn at 4x and make sure it's the ISO. I use PowerISO to burn my games.

  17. #17
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    Alright, thanks. Trying to figure out why my burns don't seem to work, I get an invalid PS2 disc error in swap magic. I know my swap magic is working fine, since I swapped into normal PS2 discs to test...

  18. #18
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    Cleaned the lens and it worked flawlessly

  19. #19
    Han Cholo
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    7,447
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Azor A'hai
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

    Re: Swap Magic help

    YES! I forgot to mention that. Once I cleaned my lens discs were read so much faster.

  20. #20
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,612
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Swap Magic help

    It's pretty sweet, I hacked up a version of Guitar Hero 2 with Dragonforce and All That Remains songs on it

Similar Threads

  1. Swap Magic
    By Hitoshura in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 2007-08-08, 10:36
  2. Swap Magic help
    By Julian in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2007-04-05, 20:10
  3. WAR/NIN help plz
    By cyphx in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2006-04-28, 14:11