Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Ipad or Macbook Pro     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    37,887
    BG Level
    10

    Ipad or Macbook Pro

    Ok I am slowly converting to Apple, and i need something to help me in the process.

    I already have a Macbook pro for work, so I am wondering w/e to get a 2nd MacBook (for me personally) or an Ipad for Work and Home.

    So i wanna know what advantage i would have with an Ipad vs a Macbook pro (outside the you can't install Vmware fusion on Ipad)


    Also what are the use of getting a 500mb data forfet with a cie for Ipad if it supports Wifi and i have a WIFI network at home?

    Thx

  2. #2
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,665
    BG Level
    7

    Macbook pro will always beat iPad if you are strictly sticking to apple.
    if not i'd say get a PC laptop.

  3. #3
    Resident Moogle
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,218
    BG Level
    9
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    So i wanna know what advantage i would have with an Ipad vs a Macbook pro (outside the you can't install Vmware fusion on Ipad)
    Built-in 3G connection (if you pay extra for it) is the only advantage I can see the iPad having over the Pro. Granted you can just buy a wireless stick for the MacBook Pro and make the Pad look like a waste of money.

    iPad has a better battery life also, but given the system can't multitask and has ancient hardware, that comes to no surprise.

    I'd honestly just go with the MacBook Pro, dual-boot it with Windows, and run anything you'd want. Only thing you'd miss out on is App Store, but there's always an iPhone/Touch for that at half the price of an iPad.

  4. #4
    jponry
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,391
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

    Neither.

  5. #5
    Burninate all the things.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,356
    BG Level
    7

    If you're sticking strictly to apple, I'd go with the macbook pro. But even if you dual boot Windows on it, I wouldn't try to run anything particularly processor intensive. My girlfriend spent near 2 grand on a brand new macbook pro this past summer, and she's had nothing but trouble with it. Those bastards get HOT.

    First she corrupted her Master Boot Record having to force-reboot after a system overheat the first time she ran Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on her Windows partition, then the plastic/aluminum/whatever around her cd drive got warped by heat and we still have to stick a credit card in the drive to force the cd high up enough to slip out of it. Those blasted unibodies have crap-all ventilation. This is the second cd drive we've had installed in that macbook pro, the first was broken when she upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Some shit about it no longer being prescribed enough power by the "logic board". I think the genius bar at the local apple store recognizes us as soon as we walk in now. Personally, I'm kinda sick of watching people give senior citizens ipad tutorials myself.

  6. #6
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    510
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Comparing apples and oranges.

    The iPad is not a computer, the MBP is.

    If you need a computer, get an MBP. If you want something small and light for internet browsing, get an iPad.

  7. #7
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    510
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    First she corrupted her Master Boot Record having to force-reboot after a system overheat the first time she ran Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on her Windows partition
    No she didn't. Macs don't have a master boot record.

  8. #8
    Zeh
    Zeh is offline
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    319
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

    As an iPad owner, go with the mbp. Annoying limitations are annoying. 15" high res pro is amazing, as are it's speakers.

  9. #9
    Burninate all the things.
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,356
    BG Level
    7

    Well, it ran like shit for a week, I took it into the Apple Store, and they said it was the Master Boot Record. I have never bothered with Apple Products until I was forced to attempt pseudo-tech support for my girlfriend, so I would not know.

  10. #10
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    I would go with an actual computer over an iPad. If you've got some freedom with the work laptop, maybe consider a desktop or something? 'course then you get into the situation of Mac Pros being vastly overpriced, or being stuck with all-in-one or small form factor. That said, a Mini is a relatively cheap option that'll get you a Mac at home, and it's not like a MBP is any more expandable (though the built in video options are better).

    It'd depend on your goals. Personally, I like to run multiple platforms, so I have a Macbook and desktop PCs. Not like you have to go all-Apple =P

  11. #11
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    700
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    I have no real useful information to add BUT my gf just got a 64G 3g/wifi iPad for her B-day and i have to say its pretty fucking fun and im not even a fan of apple. Of course I would never try any real work on it, but for fun its kinda awesome.

  12. #12
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,090
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

    MBP unless you are a traveller and require an iPad on the go.

  13. #13
    BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    37,887
    BG Level
    10

    Well i work like 50% home 50% on the road, so an Ipad would be easier to transport since it can also do SSH and all those shit.

    But i'm gonna wait I might get one for work so

  14. #14
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    14,680
    BG Level
    9

    I've been reading the Ipad goes nuts when handled outside with a strong sun. Obviously with no active cooling, the little buggers can overheat in the right situation.

  15. #15
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    336
    BG Level
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatguardian View Post
    If you're sticking strictly to apple, I'd go with the macbook pro. But even if you dual boot Windows on it, I wouldn't try to run anything particularly processor intensive. My girlfriend spent near 2 grand on a brand new macbook pro this past summer, and she's had nothing but trouble with it. Those bastards get HOT.

    First she corrupted her Master Boot Record having to force-reboot after a system overheat the first time she ran Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on her Windows partition, then the plastic/aluminum/whatever around her cd drive got warped by heat and we still have to stick a credit card in the drive to force the cd high up enough to slip out of it. Those blasted unibodies have crap-all ventilation. This is the second cd drive we've had installed in that macbook pro, the first was broken when she upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Some shit about it no longer being prescribed enough power by the "logic board". I think the genius bar at the local apple store recognizes us as soon as we walk in now. Personally, I'm kinda sick of watching people give senior citizens ipad tutorials myself.
    I don't know what the hell your girlfriend is doing with her MacBook Pro but something is a bit off. As someone already said, there is no master boot record.. I've never heard of anyone having the issues your girlfriend is having to that extreme.

    Is she using the native Boot Camp to run Windows or some other software? Being able to boot into Windows is something that takes up much more CPU utilization and Memory, causing them to run of course hotter.

    Stay away from gaming using Windows on the MacBook Pro. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If it's games she was after to begin with, she should have bought a PC or simply used games made for Mac OS X. Steam is out now for Mac as an example.

    Even just using OS X they can run hot, but have her install SMC Fan Control 2.2.2 and manually adjust her fan speeds as she needs to.

    Also if she does not already know, avoid using intensive programs on a bed or other similar situations which cause the MacBook Pro to be unable to disperse heat effectively. Even MacBook Pros before the Unibody design only had the vents at the base of the screen.

    Of course, she could just have a lemon MacBook Pro. If she keeps having that many problems, demand a replacement. Apple Care is a wonderful thing to have if she doesn't have it already. Apple Phone support is usually more likely to issue a system replacement for a repeat offender. Taking it to a Genius Bar, they'll just try and fix it there on the spot by changing out parts multiple times.

    As for the OP, if you are just going to browse the web and do less intensive things an iPad will take care of your needs. I find I use mine more than my MacBook Pro 9 outta 10 times. That being said, when I need to get serious things done I will of course get on my MacBook Pro.

    I think it's less a question of one or the other, and more a question of what will you be using it for mostly? If you can't afford to do both and you're only gonna be browsing the net and emailing and light stuff, then the iPad will meet your needs. iPhone OS 4.0 will be coming for it in a couple of months (August if my memory serves) bringing it some much needed tweaks such as multitasking etc.

    If you get an iPad, the only advice I would give that I have found to a be a huge drawback is don't use it for excessive amounts of time in direct strong sunlight. It will cause it to shut down due to overheating. I have only ever had it happen once by the pool and it was hot and humid. I had been reading an e-book for about an hour and a half when I got a message along the lines of "iPad is hot and needs to cool off before you can use it again". Moving into the shad a bit, it didn't do it again for the rest of the several hours I was out there.

    In the end, just do whatever fits your needs and lifestyle. Oh, and if you have kids.. or do a ton of traveling; Pad is a life saver.

  16. #16
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    5,090
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

    Using bootcamp&gaming on MBP for years now, although my laptop is not my main gaming machine its doing its job quite well.

    If it heats up that much, then it is a lemon just demand a replacement. I recall playing oblivion on my bed (heat heat and more heat) for a long time and I don't remember any problems with it.

  17. #17
    /lick
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,226
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    I have a Mac as a work laptop. And I'm waiting for the corporate Win7 image to finish downloading.

    I can't seriously recommend an iPad to anyone, and most of the things I like about the MBP go away once you start booting a useful OS on it.

    So I'd have to say neither.

    OS-X is just fine for personal use, and there are certain things about it I like, but I could never justify the price premium. For the same money you can still get a ridiculously much better Windows laptop, or get a comparably spec'd model for much less.

  18. #18
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    336
    BG Level
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Amastacia View Post
    I have a Mac as a work laptop. And I'm waiting for the corporate Win7 image to finish downloading.

    I can't seriously recommend an iPad to anyone, and most of the things I like about the MBP go away once you start booting a useful OS on it.

    So I'd have to say neither.

    OS-X is just fine for personal use, and there are certain things about it I like, but I could never justify the price premium. For the same money you can still get a ridiculously much better Windows laptop, or get a comparably spec'd model for much less.
    OS X is every bit as "useful" of an OS as Windows. Certain situations and needs suit one versus the other better, but overall calling one useful and the other not is pretty asinine.

    Having had to use Windows machines at various workplaces throughout the years in the past, I have not seen any instance other than compatible software that makes Windows that much more "useful".

    Even the whole software thing is falling to the wayside. Companies like Google ditching Windows PCs in favor of Macs & OS X is happening for more than just pretty looks.

    Again, it's all down to personal preference and use. Most people as in many things in life just tend to agree to disagree. Regardless, the OP wasn't asking for advice on Windows versus Mac. If you recall, he was asking iPad versus MacBook Pro.

Similar Threads

  1. New MacBook Pro's and iPhone
    By Mayareira in forum Tech
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2009-06-13, 00:17
  2. Windows 7 on a Macbook Pro
    By Jedimasta in forum Tech
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2009-01-19, 01:18
  3. External Hardrives for Macbook Pro
    By Jedimasta in forum Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2008-12-06, 13:47
  4. Macbook Pro - Airport Problems.
    By Korietsu in forum Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008-09-09, 08:23
  5. Vista Ultimate or XP Pro?
    By Chicomagiko in forum Tech
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2007-10-16, 22:20
  6. Macbook Pro or Alienware 5790
    By fstfrk13 in forum Tech
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2007-04-27, 12:46