+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    I like to eat food
    BG Level

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds - March 23, 2017

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds - Steam Store Link

I don't know the rules very well regarding screenshots and gameplay excerpts, so I'll stick to links and my own musings.

Anyone else going to pick this up on Thursday? I've been watching some streams; I wasn't quite sure I wanted to pay the $30 after seeing some of the Alpha/Beta stuff, but this last Closed Beta showed they're willing to listen to the players and make the necessary changes in a fairly timely manner. They still don't have optimization for mid- to high-end machines, they mostly focused on their low-end requirements, but I've seen interviews with PU and he assures everyone they're coming sooner rather than later. Everyone I've seen playing it has enjoyed it so far, and I've watched quite a few people. I know a couple of streamers that are playing to go hard at Duo rankings once the game is out on the 23rd.

PU's also been watching the streams and seeing what different streamers are liking/disliking, and since his games generally have more viewers than players, it's a good way to focus on his community. There have been a number of pros playing, such as shroud and Skadoodle from cloud9's CSGO team. I also saw Surefour's (Overwatch pro) name on the leaderboards, but I didn't actually check to see if he was streaming.

It's a good balance between his Arma 3 BR mod, which is super complicated because of the engine, and H1Z1's arcade-like shooter. It has the attachments for your weapons like scopes, extended mags, and foregrips while eliminating some of the clunkier aspects of Arma BR. Compared to H1, it's a bit more complicated and aiming/firing is better done through the sights unlike H1, but it eliminates crafting in favor of straight looting. Driving vehicles in circles at the end of the match is rare with most people sticking to running after the safe zone reaches a certain size. You still have bullet drop at a distance, crouching, proning, rolling, third person view, etc.

Rankings are/were up for Closed Beta with the three current modes, Solo, Duo, and Squad. Playerunknown said they have some more ideas in store too when he was on Dropped Frames last week. He also said there will be loot boxes for cosmetic items in the future and they will also release the game on consoles (PS4/XB1) after some more time doing bug fixes and balancing. They will also be adding a "Hardcore" mode, which is first person only, some time after release.

If anyone here has actually played, I'm sure they can weigh in. I'm going to try to get some time in on Friday and I can post again if anyone shows interest in the game.

This closed Beta was extended to 8pm PDT tonight so you can catch some streamers playing for the rest of the day before the beta servers close.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I've been watching a lot of streams on this game, from a viewing standpoint it feels .. slow and that may be due to all the animations that need to happen when doing anything like looting and the jumping and platforming looks really jank.

Is the game going full release on the 23rd or is it entering permanent Beta build like so many games.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

"Early Release Beta" on the 23rd. Or whatever they're calling it.

The jumping is admittedly pretty terrible, but it's an issue they've acknowledged and are looking to fix. That has been the biggest complaint across all the streamers I've watched.

As far as animations and things being slow, I don't feel that way really. I understand what you mean, though. Arma's animations were terrible in this regard. As a plus, you don't actually need to wait for the animations to loot. You can hit Tab and right click to move it into your inventory instead. This is especially useful when you have multiple things you want to pick up.

EDIT: Not worth a new post, even a day later. Was watching before servers closed last night and saw that you can reload and loot at the same time as well as long as you use Tab to loot.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Only two matches in so far, but I did okay. 2 Kills each round and made it to #10 and #17 in the match. I looted safe to start, then went in towards the circle. I got 3 care packages in 2 matches, so I wasn't shying away from conflict, but I didn't see too much. I was worried people would be all over, but I went just a bit outside the flight path and nobody is around.

My worst quality, other than terrible movement/jumping, is keeping track of time and the speed of the barrier. It's much faster than I realize. Died to it the first round. Was low on health from a gun fight, but had two boosts up so I made a run for it. Didn't make it.

I also got stuck in first person mode for a minute the first round because I hit "V" but couldn't find how to change it back in the settings so I had to google it.

EDIT: 4 Matches. got like 39 in the 3rd and I think 17 again. Maybe 19. I forgot already. My aim is not so good. Still pulled out a kill with a Pistol v a shotty in a house when he had the jump on me. I almost fell out of my seat when he shot the first time.

Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

My question is, where are the police when all of these maniacs are running around with illegal firearms and murdering people left and right?!

I like to eat food
    BG Level

They're the ones that dropped us there, obviously.

2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm addicted to watching streams and YouTube of this game, lol.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanna View Post
    I'm addicted to watching streams and YouTube of this game, lol.
    If you end up getting it let me know and we can play a few duos. No pressure as I'm new to it too.

I played 2 more games on Saturday and got 11 and 10 with 2 kills each round. I'm getting better at managing time and loot, but I am terrible at playing the circle for the last part of the game when the circle shrinks to encompass a small hill or something.

My aim is also improving. Got a good kill with an M16A4 and 4x scope on a guy trying to hide behind a tree and another on a guy trying to pin me down with a kar98k while I was behind a tree. I could see him watching me from my 3rd person view. Waited like 10 seconds before I re-peeked and got him.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

In case anyone else starts playing, don't let the care package land on your vehicle. It lags everything out and doesn't know what to do. Lirik and Shorty just did it and they started rubberbanding like crazy, Shorty ended up knocked out by falling when he tried to move the vehicle, and then got stuck in the vehicle knocked out.

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

This game continues to draw my attention. I know I shouldn't touch it, but I probably will anyway.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

I'm having a lot of fun with it despite not being very good, so take that for what you will. First game yesterday I got #2. Only 3 kills, but caused two guys to die outside playzone at the end by drawing a fire fight and blocking them from coming in. Lost to an AWM; couldn't see the guy. Then got #7 and #17. Every time I get an AR suppressor I don't have a decent scope and end up getting ganked trying to find one. Also, I don't know what to do when I am already within the playzone. I feel like a POS camping, but I guess that really makes the most sense since I'm already within the zone.

The dev team outlined their plans for updates; their first update was this morning.

Here's the whole thing, but I'll post so highlights:

Their planned schedule for updates:
    Daily updates to servers for better performance.
    Weekly bug, client & stability fixes.
    Monthly balance and content updates.

First optimization update due out next Friday, April 7. This will help optimize rendering art assets (buildings and terrain) at a distance.
    Second optimization update due out the following Friday, April 14. Optimize CPU/GPU use to increase frame rates in cities as well as throughout all levels of graphic options (very low to ultra).

Servers for South America and Oceania put online this morning. You'll run into less people with high pings that makes fire fights annoying. They will eventually put in a ping lock that will prevent players with a high ping to a given server from connecting to that server.

Added view distance settings to hopefully help increase frame rates. Not sure you'd really want that, though, considering knowing where your opponents are is a key part of the game.

Adjusted speed of the playzone towards the end of the game.

What's to come:

Improve terrain and ocean shaders.
    Decrease CPU usage in high-density areas by rearranging walls near buildings.
    Decrease usage of video memory.
    Continued client optimization.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Punched a guy to death at the start of a match yesterday. We landed near each other , but I landed first so I ran to the nearest building. When I opened the door I rubberbanded and he went jumping through the door. He grabbed the M16 on the floor, but I was on his ass and headshot punched him a few times and he died.

Was very satisfying to get the message "You killed ___ with a headshot with punch."

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I will probably pick this up this week.

I like to eat food
    BG Level

Add me on Steam if you want to do Duos or something.

OttomanRob, same as The Division.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

So this game quickly became a game of sitting in one place for as long as you possibly can and killing the person who is forced to move due to fog/static/death circle. They really need to put some motive in the game for actual engaging combat its way too slow for me personaly.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Too jankey. Tired of Jank and tired of paid alphas that drag on for 10 years without ever officially "releasing" because they already released in "alpha" and you simply bought an incomplete game that'll never be done.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Been watching this game non-stop on Twitch for the last 3 days. Seems like the common theme for successful teams/squads is to camp the outskirts of the restriction circle and waste as much time/stock up/loot everything while away from all the action until other teams kill each other off. When there are like 20-25 people left, that's when the strategy and action get good.

I think they need to reward much more points for kills and less for rank.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Micronesian Thunder
    Get Down On It

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Blackrock

I know a couple people involved with this game, been in since the first invite alpha.

I lasted an hour, and haven't played since Sept of last year. Such a waste of an alpha key.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast