+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BG's #1 Hatsune Miku fan!
    BG Level

Total Solar Eclipse to take place over US for the first time in nearly a century.

This will be literally a once in a lifetime event for most of us so don't miss out! In two months on August 21 between 1:00 and 3:30 EST a total solar eclipse will happen over the United States in almost a century. (99 years) The last time one occured was June, 8th 1918. Tomorrow starting at 1pm EST NASA will live stream a briefing that will include important viewing safety, travel and science information. It will also air on NASA TV if you have that channel.

Streaming site: https://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasa...ex.html#public

Offical site: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
    Has all the info you need on how to prepare for this historic event.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Oh shit, this will be cool. Looking forward to seeing videos of this. Won't get to experience it firsthand due to it being in August afternoon and being in Florida (IE RAIN). =/

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I'm heading to Idaho for this and taking 3 different cameras. Can't wait!

Placing bets it'll be rainy/cloudy here.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

semi-related fun fact: nasa has an app. mission trackers, news, etc.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Mini rant before I get to my question:

So first, ty for the thread as I really want my school to do an event to see it. Even if it won't be a full eclipse for us, it still is a great thing to see and you could tie into a lot of science stuff into it.

Now, keep in mind I am not a sciency person, but I definitely see this as a valuable teaching opportunity. So yesterday I sent an email to our principal and two science teachers with the above link, and also linked it to the nasa page that talks about activities for students.

I have been going to a training with a couple of teachers, one being the biology teacher. When I asked her what she thought her response was, "Well [the chemistry teacher] said that thing will take like 2 hours for it to finish, so we can't just have the kids standing around out there for that long."

So basically, if I want the kids to have this I am going to have to give a better sell than just the link. So, I come to you for help in doing so. Here are my major two questions I have:

1. Is there a way to give a better time frame of when the eclipse will be at its "best" (idkwtf you call it, "fullist"?) from Los Angeles? So we could maybe go outside 20ish minutes before it.

2. What would YOU have liked as a learning experience to go with this event? Or if you had imaginary kids in HS, what would you want them to get out of it?

btw, I found this site that does school bulk orders on those solar viewing glasses:

http://www.eclipse2017.org/glasses_order.htm

So I am going to try and get those.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post

So first, ty for the thread as I really want my school to do an event to see it. Even if it won't be a full eclipse for us, it still is a great thing to see and you could tie into a lot of science stuff into it.

Now, keep in mind I am not a sciency person, but I definitely see this as a valuable teaching opportunity. So yesterday I sent an email to our principal and two science teachers with the above link, and also linked it to the nasa page that talks about activities for students.

I have been going to a training with a couple of teachers, one being the biology teacher. When I asked her what she thought her response was, "Well [the chemistry teacher] said that thing will take like 2 hours for it to finish, so we can't just have the kids standing around out there for that long."

So basically, if I want the kids to have this I am going to have to give a better sell than just the link. So, I come to you for help in doing so. Here are my major two questions I have:

1. Is there a way to give a better time frame of when the eclipse will be at it's "best" (idkwtf you call it, "fullist"?) from Los Angeles? So we could maybe go outside 20ish minutes before it.

2. What would YOU have liked as a learning experience to go with this event? Or if you had imaginary kids in HS, what would you want them to get out of it?

btw, I found this site that does school bulk orders on those solar viewing glasses:

Ksandra, if that site runs out of glasses, contact Oceanside Photo and Telescope (I usually buy my Telescope equipment there). They sell solar eclipse glasses in packs of 25, but I would get them ASAP because they run out quickly (learned the hard way for the Venus Transit back in 2012).

Also check this site: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/los-angeles

The Maximum will be at 10:22am and because it is not in the direct shadow path (further north in the US) it will only be seen as a partial solar eclipse. As far as what to teach or what to learn from it, you can explain that an experiment conducted during the Solar Eclipse back in 1919 supported Einsteins Theory of Relativity as they were able to take photographs and observe light from stars that were behind the Sun being deflected due to being warped by space time. Also you can explain that due to the moons orbital inclination, eclipses don't happen every month.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Ksandra, if that site runs out of glasses, contact Oceanside Photo and Telescope (I usually buy my Telescope equipment there). They sell solar eclipse glasses in packs of 25, but I would get them ASAP because they run out quickly (learned the hard way for the Venus Transit back in 2012).

Also check this site: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/los-angeles

The Maximum will be at 10:22am and because it is not in the direct shadow path (further north in the US) it will only be seen as a partial solar eclipse. As far as what to teach or what to learn from it, you can explain that an experiment conducted during the Solar Eclipse back in 1919 supported Einsteins Theory of Relativity as they were able to take photographs and observe light from stars that were behind the Sun being deflected due to being warped by space time. Also you can explain that due to the moons orbital inclination, eclipses don't happen every month.
    Thank you!

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

When does the US get absorbed into the eclipse to be sacrified for Trumps dream? And who represents Guts in this scenario?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

1. Is there a way to give a better time frame of when the eclipse will be at its "best" (idkwtf you call it, "fullist"?) from Los Angeles? So we could maybe go outside 20ish minutes before it.

Depending on age of kids, in addition to or instead of the glasses, you should have them build their own viewing boxes as a lesson in how light works. Also fuck the bureaucracy lol, email every parent and let them know that this is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity (not in LA since you won't see full but who cares about details) and tell them to email the principal to voice their support.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...projector.html

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...projector.html

The eclipse will begin over the Pacific Ocean at 15:46 UTC, which corresponds to 8:46 am Pacific Time. It will reach the coast of Oregon at Lincoln City, just west of Salem, at 9:04 am local time.
    From here, the Moon's central shadow will move inland. The total eclipse will reach the western border of Idaho at 10:10 am, Wyoming at 10:16 am, and Nebraska at 10:25 am local time.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...2017-august-21

Edit: Depending on level of education it is an interesting calculation to show why it's been 99 years since we last had one sweep across the U.S. https://www.space.com/25644-total-so...explained.html Can read more about it here. May be too much for HS students though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Or if it were me I'd just say fuck it and take them out anyway, but you are always bitching about job security so maybe not.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    Or if it were me I'd just say fuck it and take them out anyway, but you are always bitching about job security so maybe not.
    Yeah you are right. We are an at-will state and I am not unionized. XD

Plus, me trying to make a lesson out of it would be way out of my league. I'd be afraid I'd burn their eyes out somehow.

Thanks for the links, though! I will try to type up something more concrete with a bunch of this stuff to send over to the science people. I mean, honestly, worse case scenario I will try to organize it myself. It just seems silly to go that lengths as the English teacher without the science people doing it.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah you are right. We are an at-will state and I am not unionized. XD

Plus, me trying to make a lesson out of it would be way out of my league. I'd be afraid I'd burn their eyes out somehow.

Thanks for the links, though! I will try to type up something more concrete with a bunch of this stuff to send over to the science people. I mean, honestly, worse case scenario I will try to organize it myself. It just seems silly to go that lengths as the English teacher without the science people doing it.
    If you look over the box one it is, literally, so easy a child could do it. You really should consider it.

We made them when I was in like 2nd or 3rd grade to watch an eclipse using paper plates and shit.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir View Post
    If you look over the box one it is, literally, so easy a child could do it. You really should consider it.

We made them when I was in like 2nd or 3rd grade to watch an eclipse using paper plates and shit.
    I agree with Sath, Pinhole viewing boxes are pretty easy and straight forward. Super low cost to make as well. Can do a class project the day before where everyone makes them and you can make a lesson out of how and why it works if you don't want to use glasses. Less risk because depending on the age of the kids, there is always the possibility of that one child that decides to take their glasses off. Also you can see if there are any local Astronomy Club members that are willing to come out with their Telescope with Sun filters connected to a monitor.

Also, what grade do you teach? Since you are an English teacher, you can talk about the Eclipse in literature and use an example such as A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court and how he went back in time and use the knowledge of the Eclipse as a way to get out of prison by telling the King that he would darken the sun if he wasn't released lol.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

bump for hype

I took the day off, and we'll travel to totality cause it's not too far.

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

My 5 year old son asked me when the Apocalypse was going to happen this month. I was like Whaaaa????? He said, Yeah, day will turn into dark. I LOL's so hard.

He was right, just used the wrong word. I told him it was a Eclipse and not Apocalypse. And told him the difference

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Saw 2 total eclipses as a kid. They are awesome.

Sadly only gonna get partial where I am now.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

According to that locator website my area will see an 86% eclipse but more than likely because it's Florida in August afternoon it'll just be cloudy.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

70% for me ;(

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast