FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Google Stadia - Streaming Platform - Pro 2019 | Basic 2020 | Graveyard 2023

Google says Stadia will run on “any screen type” but, at launch, will work on desktops, laptops, TVs, tablets and phones. There’s no box at all. “With Stadia, the data center is your platform,” Google said. A gamer can start on one platform and then pick up where they left off on another devices, which means you might game on your computer and then continue on your phone when you leave the house.

People will be able to play with a keyboard and mouse or a special Stadia controller that Google will sell. It has a capture button that lets people share their games right to YouTube so that other people can watch. It also has a Google Assistant button, which gives access to the microphone for speaking to in-game features that developers will be able to build into their games.

Google said it will support 4K games at 60fps with HDR but that, in the future, will support games up to 8K resolution. Most people don’t yet own 8K TVs and only the most recent gaming consoles from Microsoft and Sony currently support 4K HDR gaming. AMD helps Google power Stadia’s graphics rendering in the cloud.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/19/goog...announced.html

The first game announced for Stadia turned out to be the upcoming Doom Eternal, which Id Software producer Marty Stratton said took a few weeks to get working on Stadia. Stratton said the game would run at 4K and 60 FPS.

Harrison noted that Stadia would support cross-platform play.
    https://kotaku.com/google-unveils-ga...dia-1833409933

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

looks dope

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

At the start, google identified the 3 pillars for this. Developers, Streamers, and Players.
    Only Developers and Streamers were represented.

They did not address bandwith limits and caps. They did not address input latency (do not expect FGC on Stadia). They did not address owning a copy/access to games.
    They did not address offline play (because you can't). And they said not a thing about price.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Straight Ca$h Homie
    BG Level

My first impression was that Stadia would be a service, but cross platform probably means you'd be buying the games outright, in the same way you would on the play store.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
    My first impression was that Stadia would be a service, but cross platform probably means you'd be buying the games outright, in the same way you would on the play store.
    This is definitely going the way of games as a service, ala xbox game pass or EA access. Monthly subscription for a list of games you can play anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post

Input lag comparison.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

"far from ideal internet conditions, subpar 15mbps connection"

:runs testmynet:

6.1mbps

welp

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Why does it have such powerful hardware if it's supposed to be a cloud device tho? The cloud part seems superfluous if the console is still doing all the work.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

>.>

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Prothescar View Post
    Why does it have such powerful hardware if it's supposed to be a cloud device tho? The cloud part seems superfluous if the console is still doing all the work.
    There is no console. Those are the specs of the cloud PCs.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaslo View Post

Input lag comparison.
    Should note they used a laggy as fuck monitor for some reason for those numbers (21ms, while any decent gaming monitor is ~1ms) for PC/console, and the stadia numbers come from a google pixelbook that they don't give a response time for. Running in higher frame rates will also reduce input lag, while this guy only checked @60fps, which stadia is limited to, but PC obviously isn't.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I know i'm probably not the target audience for this, but no offline play is basically an instant pass on any console/game announcement for me.

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    There is no console. Those are the specs of the cloud PCs.
    O. Well in that case pretty cool, but worthless for a majority of people living on this planet since internet is still garbage for most. The idea of streaming and playing console games to my phone or something with a bluetooth controller attached is novel but until 5G rolls out it'll never work.

Bard-turned-Miner
    BG Level

IMO they made a pretty compelling argument that this will allow for unique things that otherwise aren't possible, and it's more than just a console replacement. If there's a subscription I'll most likely jump in but I'm probably not looking to buy access to games outright. I hope that's what they end up offering, but that wasn't the impression I got after watching the keynote.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

This type of thing has the chance to change how games are designed from the ground up. Idk if it'll be used by it's full potential though just because AAA will still be designing for consoles and those are bottlenecked by performance.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

There's a service called Shadow I've been seeing ads on Facebook for. It's pretty much your own PC, but streamed to you through your monitor or Tablet/Phone just like this is. Will this be just for gaming or will it give you access to a full windows PC like Shadow does?

I just cant imagine the input lag being decent enough to play a MMO or FPS where timing is critical. It's almost 2x the input lag of a 60FPS PC according to that comparison.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

If the controller is wifi, the delay is really not that high. The server is doing the rendering and playing, they're only sending video back and waiting for controller inputs. Even with mediocre bandwidth most games would be fine. Fighting games not so much, but if they release a video of Diego doing that parry thing on their stream I'm all in.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Looks pretty cool, happy to see another option besides my Nvidia shield which is the best fucking thing on the planet. It could really force some price adjustments and hardware/software upgrades and may even be better if that's possible.

Love being able to take my entire PC library plus all of geforcenow to my 70inch in the living room, going to be even better with this thing and it's possibilities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast