• Navigation
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    170
    BG Level
    3

    Sony Bravia TV with no sound for analog channel

    Dear BG,

    I have KDL40W4000 Sony Bravia TV that I brought from UK. Now I moved back to Malaysia and I couldn't get any sound for the analog channel. The HDMI and AV channels are fine though. I could play my PS3 and PS2 with no problem. Anyone has any idea what may cause it?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,875
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Personally, I'm not certain as to what you're asking about. Are you saying that you do hear sound fine if you use HDMI and standard A/V (composite) cables? Which setup is it that does not work? Where is the audio and video coming from (e.g., your laptop)? What kind of cabling are you using?

  3. #3
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    170
    BG Level
    3

    Yes, the channels that use HDMI and standard A/V inputs have no sound problem. The analog channel which use the indoor aerial for local TV channels is the one with problem. I can see local TV channels just find but they have no sound at all.

    P/S: I don't subscribe the TV provider service such as Direct TV etc because I only want to watch news.

  4. #4
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,875
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Some suggestions that come courtesy of Google (using search terms like "Sony Bravia antenna "no sound""):

    Quote Originally Posted by Sony
    It is strongly recommended that you connect the CABLE/ANTENNA input using a 75-ohm coaxial cable to receive optimum picture quality. A 300-ohm twin lead cable can easily be affected by radio frequency interference, resulting in signal degradation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahoo! Answers
    Test the TV with different inputs, as many as possible, whatever you have: antenna, cable or satellite box, DVD player, game box. Sound only missing with one input? You've partially solved it--check for a bad jack, cable, or source.

    Sound missing on everything? If you have a headphone jack, insert the headphone plug in and out vigorously several times. A contact may be stuck in the open position on the back of the jack.

    No help? Check your audio sub-menu for an option to turn off the internal speakers. Some sets have this for use with a surround sound system. Turn it on if you find it off.

    Still no sound? You can try connecting an external amplifier and speakers to the set's auxiliary audio output jacks. That may get you audio, but won't fix the original problem.

    If none of the above works, the set is due for a trip to the repair shop, unless you want to avoid the expense. In that case, a trip to a recycle center.
    There are, unfortunately, many more results in this vein, as Bravias evidently love to have audio issues. If you still have your receipt, and a method of placing long distance calls without paying exorbitant fees (e.g., an online calling service), I would suggest contacting Sony's customer support, pretending you're in the UK still (and ideally using a valid address to do it, while mentioning honestly that you're using an online calling service and do not have a return number), and trying to get assistance that way.

    Or replacing the antenna, if you can conveniently do that first. I'm guessing it's an interior antenna, which are often terrible. If not, nevermind that.

Similar Threads

  1. Building a PC for FFXIV with No Experience!
    By briankym27 in forum Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2010-09-29, 18:36