Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,778
    BG Level
    6

    Graphics corrupt sometimes on boot.

    Edit: If it happens it starts at the welcome/login screen after the initial windows boot, and sometimes after I login if I don't wait for everything to settle down.

    This has been happening for almost a year now, every so often when I boot in to Windows 7 the graphics card displays crap all over the monitor, sometimes it fixes itself by crashing the graphics driver and restarting it, other times I have to reboot and hope it works.

    I'm running the latest nVidia drivers and a Palit GTX 470 (Single card), this is also happening when I log in and start doing stuff before everything loads up (Hard drive activity levels out), if I wait until everything is loaded everything works perfectly fine with no issues at all until I reboot my computer.

    I've done memtest and spinrite on my hard drives and they all come back fine. Is there any way I can test my graphics card to see if it's bad/going bad or is it just an assumption that it is since it has to do with what the computer is displaying.

    Specs:
    Motherboard: EVGA X58 FTW3
    Graphics Card: Palit nVidia GTX 470
    Memory: 6 Gigs DDR3 running at 1600
    Proc: Intel Core i7 930 running at 2.90ghz (Not overclocked)
    Hard drives: 2 1TB drives in RAID and one 1TB drive as my main drive (Used to be running Windows 7 on the RAID but decided it would be better to use the raid as storage)

  2. #2
    Ranger
    9900klub

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,976
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries
    12

    how big is your power supply
    a good graphics test to run, believe it or not, is the FFXIV graphics stress test, its really rough and very unoptomized on peoples machines, thus it pushes the card to the limits and itll show you if your card is shitting the bed after a few runs
    is the card getting the generic driver crash, windows has recovered from doing X and the screen flickers?

  3. #3
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,778
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    how big is your power supply
    a good graphics test to run, believe it or not, is the FFXIV graphics stress test, its really rough and very unoptomized on peoples machines, thus it pushes the card to the limits and itll show you if your card is shitting the bed after a few runs
    is the card getting the generic driver crash, windows has recovered from doing X and the screen flickers?
    Running 1000W power supply, will have to try the benchmark. Yeah just a generic "Windows has encountered an error and recovered from it" or something like that, only happens when the screen is already shitty, never happens out of nowhere even after playing Skyrim or anything it never shits out on me. Just sometimes on boot.

Similar Threads

  1. PC Tower stuck on Boot up Screen
    By Sanjurio in forum Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2012-07-29, 04:51
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2012-04-03, 00:06
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2009-08-26, 16:56
  4. BSOD on boot-up
    By Athas in forum Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2009-08-06, 13:30
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2008-12-03, 20:52
  6. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008-08-22, 00:56
  7. New computer freezes on boot
    By Makenshin in forum Tech
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2008-06-28, 23:37
  8. Graphics issues on FFXI.
    By Woozie in forum Tech
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2007-07-23, 22:09
  9. XI graphics screwy on a 8800 GTS
    By Cat in forum Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2007-03-26, 16:59