Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

Thread: Canadian Lit. was full :(     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    Canadian Lit. was full :(

    so I'm reading a poem called The Potato Harvest

    a full year course in Canadian Poetry... yikes lol



    the professor is actually pretty charismatic and lively, doesn't mind crass jokes and passes the class quite nicely. Reading this stuff on my own on the other hand.. yikes

    Spoiler: show
    A high bare field, brown from the plough, and borne
    Aslant from sunset; amber wastes of sky
    Washing the ridge; a clamour of crows that fly
    In from the wide flats where the spent tides mourn
    To yon their rocking roosts in pines wind-torn;
    A line of grey snake-fence, that zigzags by
    A pond and cattle; from the homestead nigh
    The long deep summonings of the supper horn.
    Black on the ridge, against that lonely flush,
    A cart, and stoop-necked oxen; ranged beside
    Some barrels; and the day-worn harvest-folk,
    Here emptying their baskets, jar the hush
    With hollow thunders. Down the dusk hillside
    Lumbers the wain; and day fades out like smoke.


    poetry can be lame enough as it is, Pablo Neruda being one of the only readily accessible poets I can think of offhand, the rest require some work and guidance to get into.. but a friggin potato harvest lol..

  2. #2
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,751
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

    I wish I lived in canada so bad

  3. #3
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    free healthcare sucks

  4. #4
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Oh Jesus, man, out of the frying pan into the fire.

    Canada has a longstanding tradition of producing poor literature and even poorer poetry.

  5. #5
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,751
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
    free healthcare sucks
    just dont be a noob irl and you will be ok

  6. #6
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    was being sarcastic but yeah


    I'll be okay

  7. #7
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiroikage View Post
    Oh Jesus, man, out of the frying pan into the fire.

    Canada has a longstanding tradition of producing poor literature and even poorer poetry.
    the gems are REALLY hard to find

  8. #8
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Exceedingly.

  9. #9
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    I mean.. Michael Ondaatje is probably our best celebrated author, or perahps Margaret Atwood




    personally my favorite is Guy Gavriel Kay, a fantasy novelist, author of The Fionavar Tapestry, a trilogy with bar-none the best character development you will ever read in a fantasy novel

    it reads like a proper work of literature but with elements of fantasy

  10. #10
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    for bodies of work though I'd have to go with Timothy Findley or David Adams Richards

  11. #11
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    I do not care for Canadian literature in the least bit. The parts that make it distinctive make it distasteful to me, and so often it fears watered down.

    I kid not when I say that Robert Service is basically the only Canadian literary figure that I am proud of.

  12. #12
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    isn't that the flanders' fields dude lol?

  13. #13
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    No, it's the Cremation of Sam McGee dude.

  14. #14
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    I really advise against writing off all of CanLit

    check out Findley's - The Piano Man's Daughter, or David Adams Richards' - Nights Below Station Street (won governor general's award in '88, other novels won Giller prize a couple years)

  15. #15
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiroikage View Post
    No, it's the Cremation of Sam McGee dude.
    I knew the name was familiar

    what was his other book? I know they were illustrated and all but those books were hella creepy lol. I read them as a kid and I wonder what my dad was thinking when he got them for us haha

  16. #16
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    I will give them a look with as independent a view point as I can muster.

  17. #17
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
    I knew the name was familiar

    what was his other book? I know they were illustrated and all but those books were hella creepy lol. I read them as a kid and I wonder what my dad was thinking when he got them for us haha
    You're probably thinking of The Shooting of Dan McGrew. He has a lot of poetry besides those two.

  18. #18
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

  19. #19
    Canadian Fury
    MANITOBA IS NOT A REAL PLACE

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,089
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
    Yeah, I definitely remember those editions as a kid.

  20. #20
    Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    BG Level
    6

    another illustrated book my dad got me when I was younger:

    http://www.hbook.com/Images/CommonIm...esz_stinky.jpg

    from the Stinky Cheese Man lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. and here i thought orwell was full of shit
    By Kuya in forum Ragnell Middle Finger Memorial Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 2009-03-20, 08:32