1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 11 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 12 hours, 8 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 4 hours, 51 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 5 hours, 8 minutes
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: FFXIV on 40GB PS3?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    Queen of the Pity Party
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,743
    BG Level
    9

    FFXIV on 40GB PS3?

    Pardon me for asking such a basic question, but I don't understand much about this stuff - do you think FFXIV will take up a ton of space on a 40GB PS3? I don't plan on buying too many games for it and I doubt I'll install many of them to the hard drive, so I don't think it would. But I know FFXI took up like 11 GB on my PC, and I'm sure FFXIV will take up even more.

    Should I worry about the size of my hard drive? I haven't bought the PS3 yet (picking it up later today) so this is why I'm asking.

    I know nobody knows the exact requirements yet, but I'm just wondering, do you think I'll be safe buying my 40GB PS3?

  2. #2
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    499
    BG Level
    4
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

    I think you'll be fine. In year 5 of the game or so, after several expansions, I would not be shocked if the game was 30+ GB, though. So don't plan on installing a ton of other stuff on it or downloading a lot of videos/movies/demos.

    I mean, you can always erase stuff you don't use any more, and when the game is released I would take a random guess at it being ~15-20gb at most. I don't really have any idea though, so don't take this as gospel.

  3. #3
    the apple of knowledge
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    246
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    no one knows yet, remember ffxiv is 8 years worth of patches and has expansions. 11Gb for ffxiv to start off with doesn't seem to be a bad estimate but it is likely to increase with time, but i would also imagine that each expansion would have the updated data on blu-ray disk so might not be too space hungry. Also upgrading a ps3 hard disk is cheap and easy.

  4. #4
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,046
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

    Considering they've already hinted that it could be up to 20gb already, you may want to upgrade just because since unlike FFXI, this game is a lot higher quality with a lot less compression designed for the PC. FFXI was so small (bigish now) because it was a PS2 game which are generally small.

  5. #5
    Queen of the Pity Party
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,743
    BG Level
    9

    oh really? I was under the impression that the PS3 hard drive was like, hard-installed or something.

    see, I told you I don't know anything about this shit lol

    thanks, that allays my fears a lot. the only reason I'm really getting a PS3 is for FFXIV, although FFXIII and plenty of other games are certainly a bonus.

    I guess I'll go with the 40GB for now (I couldn't find any other used ones in the area) and if I need to upgrade, I will. like I said, I won't have much if anything else installed, maybe a few PSN games, and I can always remove shit if I have to.

  6. #6
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    12,852
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Well if you didn't get it get then I would recommend getting a one with a little bigger hdd. The price difference isn't so big I think? Better be safe~

  7. #7
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,103
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

    If you keep an eye out you can find cheap laptop HDD's that fit into the ps3 for dirt cheap.
    Just keep an eye out over the next few months I bet you can snag a 500Gig+ for under $100 if you wait it out. I run off an 80G one as of right now, I will in time upgrade it as I add stuff.

  8. #8
    Queen of the Pity Party
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    11,743
    BG Level
    9

    sweet. now that I know, I think I'll just pick up the cheap 40GB PS3 since it's the only one in 100 miles I could find that's refurbished. I've been wanting one for ages and now that I found one and have it reserved I don't think I could possibly hold myself back lol. I'll upgrade the HDD at some point, though I might wait until we find out more about FFXIV's requirements.
    will be picking up Oblivion and Valkyria Chronicles, and reserving FFXIII. so excited

  9. #9
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,198
    BG Level
    7

    You can get nice laptop HDDs for a good price. A Western Digital Black 320GB 7200 RPM is $75 on Newegg. It's $65 for a 250GB one. 5400 RPM disks are cheaper yet.

    All you need is a screwdriver and a USB drive for transferring files to do the HDD swap.

  10. #10
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    500
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Odin

    Quote Originally Posted by dejet View Post
    Just keep an eye out over the next few months I bet you can snag a 500Gig+ for under $100 if you wait it out.
    Wait?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136459

  11. #11
    Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,454
    BG Level
    7

    That's decent. I have 320gb 7200rpm in mine which I bought for about $70 a year or so ago. Don't bother with getting a 7200rpm one though if you have to pay extra, PS3 was designed with a stock 5400rpm drive so it won't make a difference.

  12. #12
    aru
    aru is offline
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,084
    BG Level
    6

    Might want to do some research on whether or not the PS3 can reap any benefit from a 7200RPM HDD if you decide to upgrade. I've heard, and this is only rumors, that the PS3 cannot fully utilize high RPM HDDs so you might save some cash with just going with a 5400RPM drive instead.

    On a related note, is there any way to see how much HDD space is used/available on the PS3?

  13. #13
    Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,454
    BG Level
    7

    Settings > System Information, or something like that

  14. #14
    This isnt going so well guys.
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,654
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Yeah save money by getting a 5400 HDD, the PS3 doesn't make use of the 7200. Also keep in mind just because its a 40GB PS3 that doesn't mean you have 40GB of space you can access. After the PS3 system software, etc your 40GB PS3 is probably more like 32-33GB. I'd go ahead and swap out for a new HDD, I put a 250GB HDD in my 60GB PS3 recently and I got it off Newegg for like $60.

  15. #15
    Q_Q
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    378
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    I just upgraded mine 2 days ago bought this one
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136221
    Took about 60 sec's to install new one. Most of the stuff is saved to the PS3 some other way because when I did mine I only backed up my save games, and when I poped it on with the new HD I still had all my other stuff -movie DL and demos.

  16. #16
    the apple of knowledge
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    246
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by kazen View Post
    Yeah save money by getting a 5400 HDD, the PS3 doesn't make use of the 7200. Also keep in mind just because its a 40GB PS3 that doesn't mean you have 40GB of space you can access. After the PS3 system software, etc your 40GB PS3 is probably more like 32-33GB. I'd go ahead and swap out for a new HDD, I put a 250GB HDD in my 60GB PS3 recently and I got it off Newegg for like $60.
    PS3 have been tested with 7200 HDD and SSD both of which have only shown minor improvement, the bus to the motherboard seems to be the limiting factor.

  17. #17
    Fake Numbers
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    95
    BG Level
    2

    It seemed like I read that they were going to create 2 different texture packs for FFXIV. One for the PC and one for the PS3 with the PS3 textures being more optimized and generally smaller so that the PS3 doesn't have problems running the game as well as taking less hard drive space. I kinda hope they would have both texture packs for PCs so that people who have lesser computers can still play while players like me with high-end PCs can get their nice high res textures and everyone wins.

    Downrezing textures is not that big of a deal.

  18. #18
    Can you spare some gil?
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,781
    BG Level
    8

    Just purchase a standard 5200 or 7200 Laptop HDD and replace the one in your PS3, you don't need to format the hard drive, and you don't need to do anything difficult other then unscrew the hard drive from the system, I replaced my 40gig with a 320gig

  19. #19
    Melee Summoner
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35
    BG Level
    1
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    40gig PS3: 230 Pre-Owned
    80gig PS3: 250 Pre-Owned
    120gig PS3: 300 New
    250gig PS3: 350 New

    If you have the extra 70 bucks I would go for the 120, its what I have and I love it, don't need to worry about upgrading or anything like that. If you don't have an extra 70 bucks I would recommend the 80 gig, 20 bucks more for twice the size. 250gig is a lot of space and its 50 dollars more than the 120 so thats a pretty good deal if you really want to make sure you have space, kinda unneccesary imo.

  20. #20
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,103
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic View Post
    40gig PS3: 230 Pre-Owned
    80gig PS3: 250 Pre-Owned
    120gig PS3: 300 New
    250gig PS3: 350 New

    If you have the extra 70 bucks I would go for the 120, its what I have and I love it, don't need to worry about upgrading or anything like that. If you don't have an extra 70 bucks I would recommend the 80 gig, 20 bucks more for twice the size. 250gig is a lot of space and its 50 dollars more than the 120 so thats a pretty good deal if you really want to make sure you have space, kinda unneccesary imo.
    he said that there is nothing but the 40gig ones within 100 miles of him. Most sellers even online say there is a month to 5 month wait on slim PS3's This year the ps3 is in very high demand it would seem. I live right outside new york and I cant find them(not that I need them) but when someone said they could not find one i was like "huh? Stores around me always have them"

    Went to take a look next time I bought a game, and the gamestop had none, and amazon has like a 3 month wait ~_~.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast