Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Tatoo Design help     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    The Wang
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,343
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Tatoo Design help

    I was going to bump the tattoo thread but this is a bit unique. I've been looking forward to getting a tattoo for over a year now, and I'm just having some quirks getting a design that I'm 100% happy with. Any artistic help, or constructive comments appreciated.

    1) As stereotypical as it is, I want something that has tribal roots in it. I like the design style it offers, and I'm pretty convinced that as long as I'm making it my own, and didn't grab it verbatim off of google images, it's not retarded.

    2) I love eagles, not only because they're awesome, but because of all the symbolism they bring with them. I want the tat to have meaning, not just look cool, because the look will fade after a while, where as the meaning wont.

    Based off of that and googling, I found this eagle, which I like, but I obviously want to change in some way, to make it my own.


    I like the idea of having two of them, and it was an easy way for me to start making modifications easily on my own. I came up with two basic designs just screwing around in photoshop (I have almost no artistic talent)

    1)this, on my upper back in between my shoulder blades. I liked this one, and was pretty sure that's what I wanted to get(I like it looks almost like an angel, with the wings and all because I do have a pretty long childhood of going to church and that stuff still means something to me) until one of my friends pointed out it looks like doves kissing, and now I can't unsee it lol.

    I started messing with this idea some more, and did some random inverts, etc. the possibilities of angles and orientations of this are endless, but I feel like they are losing their shape and distinguishability the more I mess with it. These were two more I saved;


    2) This was the original idea I had, but I don't think it is going to work out too well. I wanted it to look more like flames, and have two of them merged together. Starting it at the top of my shoulder, going down my back, and then after about 5 inches, wrap towards my ribs/chest, stopping on my side. I don't have the artistic ability to blend them well, and the local tat guy seemed wishywashy on how well he'd be able to blend them, or if I'd need 3 eagles to get the length I want without stretching it too much (I only want two of them)


    So, all that said. If anyone has the artsy touch and feels like randomly sketching some reincarnation of this, thatd be win, but on the other hand any other ideas about ways to combine them, placement etc is great too.

    Someone will say go to other tatoo artists etc, and I will when I get back to college (there aren't many within half hour driving distance here) but I want to get other peoples opinions, and it's still just art, so it doesn't really matter if its for a tatoo or not to come up with a better design. I know what I want it to consist of, like I've said, I just haven't found a design that I'm 100% sold on, and it's starting to frustrate me. <3

  2. #2
    Tamale Baby
    Groundskeeper of the House of Weave

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    698
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    i hate tribal but i say the last one.
    best bet is to hit up a local tattoo artist and he can design one for you. but all i have are fucking game related ones so idk

  3. #3
    the whitest knight u' know
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    15,485
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur



    Naw, but honestly, I agree with Trojin... not a big fan of "tribal" but something that might be able to save it is definitely having it re-drawn and actually look sketched and drawn instead of solid black ink. So it's more of an original piece, and less looking like something picked out of a book at the tattoo shop. I'd consider resketching it but I'm about to pass out at 3am, not to mention it really depends on the tattoo artist in the end being able to replicate it.

  4. #4
    Spiders are Awesome
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,073
    BG Level
    8

    Tbh, I wouldn't see eagles in any of those without being told that they're supposed to be eagles. You should go see the artist and work with them to sketch up something. I can't draw worth shit but I'd think maybe thicker lines and some stylized color would make it look better.

    Also,


  5. #5
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    992
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Not sure how thin you are. But if you're skinny, and you want them to wrap around your ribs, that shit is going to hurt. A lot. Just something to keep in mind. In my experience, the closer the needle is to a bone, with less muscle or fat in between, the more painful it will be. Not so bad that you won't be able to stand it, but do know you're looking to ink one of the more painful spots.

  6. #6
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    604
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    Tbh I'm not really sold on any of the variations...
    If you go with the last one, maybe change it so that they're not actually touching, or look more like theyre both flying together. Right now all I can see is one bird sniffing the other one's bum. (Im also not seeing eagles specifically)

    A tattoo is a forever thing... as has been mentioned, any chance you want to find a tattoo artist that you like, and get him/her to design you something completely new? You can use this drawing as a starting place for the design. It'll be more money, but you'll get something unique/personal as well as something that's been designed to fit well on whatever piece of skin you're going to put it on.

  7. #7
    Science Fiction Super Fan
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,053
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    first tip i can give you is to find someone who knows how to spell

  8. #8
    If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,540
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Takedown3 View Post
    first tip i can give you is to find someone who knows how to spell
    GDI I was coming here to post this.

  9. #9
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    992
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Now that I'm awake and reading this thread, I forgot to mention the most important part.

    Get what you want, and fuck what everyone else thinks. If you're getting tattoos you want other people to like, you're doing it wrong. Tattoos are awesome, so get what you think is awesome. If people don't like it, fuck 'em.

  10. #10
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    821
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    If you google 'eagle' under images and select 'line art' there is some pretty good stuff... but I have to say I do not suggest the last one unless you want your tattoo nicknamed 'bird blowjob'.









    etc. You can take any or all of the designs you like to a tattoo artist and, if they're any good, they're going to design you something really sweet and something hopefully nobody else has. GL!

  11. #11
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,514
    BG Level
    6

    2) I love eagles, not only because they're awesome, but because of all the symbolism they bring with them. I want the tat to have meaning, not just look cool, because the look will fade after a while, where as the meaning wont.
    Hello

    Don't know if you already decided, but:

    Some questions,
    1.Regardless of what it means to everyone else, what does the symbolism of the eagle mean to you?

    2.Are you American?

    3. Patriotic?

    I ask because I am an artist and designed my own tats so maybe I can come up with something. I say -maybe- because to me, tattoos are a very intimate and personal thing. I would need to grasp something of the spirit of your idea to authentically feel good about it.

    If you are still interested, maybe some ideas that you personally came up with, no matter how trendy or common or silly you think they are, would help.

    4. Also if you think some thing is bad in an eagle design, how come you do?

    Tips: I don't know if you can, but try drawing the design(s) that you like the most on yourself using cosmetic black or washable ink, OR try drawing it on a pic of yourself. If on your skin, wear it for a while. This is for you to get an idea of what it feels like having this represent you.

    Before I got each of my tats, I wore identical temporary inkwork designs that I painted free hand on my skin for a duration before deciding.

    Either way, I love blackwork and I wish you the best luck in obtaining something gorgeous that reflects you in every way. Please let us know what you chose when it is on you, I love seeing people's body work.

  12. #12
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    106
    BG Level
    3
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

    If it'd be cool, I may PM you for some ideas Mistress. I've been thinking about designs for a tattoo for a while and would appreciate the input from someone who has firsthand experience.

  13. #13
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,895
    BG Level
    7

    I wanted something along the lines of :

    http://th06.deviantart.net/fs37/300W...erlondeiel.jpg

    on my back

  14. #14
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,895
    BG Level
    7

    but I think I am too chicken shit to actually get a tatoo :/

  15. #15
    Hydra
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    106
    BG Level
    3
    WoW Realm
    Nesingwary

    That looks pretty awesome, you should do it.

    I've been thinking about getting this split up and put on my shoulder blades (colored in ice blue / blood red) but I want to have someone do the coloring before I take it down to a tattoo shop.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...371_447694.jpg

  16. #16
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,939
    BG Level
    7

    I've always loved Paul Romano and John Baizley's work, but I dunno if I could get any of their pieces done on me. I love the styles, but I feel like someone else out there would have the same exact tattoo.

  17. #17
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,514
    BG Level
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by Dainslaif View Post
    If it'd be cool, I may PM you for some ideas Mistress. I've been thinking about designs for a tattoo for a while and would appreciate the input from someone who has firsthand experience.

    Of course, feel free to.

  18. #18
    Professional Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2,853
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Braxton Ryker
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Quote Originally Posted by Shalyn View Post
    If you google 'eagle' under images and select 'line art' there is some pretty good stuff... but I have to say I do not suggest the last one unless you want your tattoo nicknamed 'bird blowjob'.









    etc. You can take any or all of the designs you like to a tattoo artist and, if they're any good, they're going to design you something really sweet and something hopefully nobody else has. GL!
    1st one is wtfphoenix, 2nd is wtfpterodactyl, the 3rd is alright. I don't care for the 4th one myself. Also wtf I was thinking Bird Blowjob before I even read your post. The Bird Blowjob would cool if you got them a little more separated... but at the same time they look like dove to me. Just go to a few local shops and see what they can do for you.

  19. #19
    Fake Numbers
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    92
    BG Level
    2

    I went to my tattoo artist and gave him my idea, and he drew it up 3 times before I decided on the final design. Going to your tattoo artist would probably be the best thing to do, as long as they are cool about working at it until he finally gets it right

    http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8...1688medium.jpg

    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

  20. #20
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,108
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    should get a tattoo of a snake eating a rat with a banner that says 'born to watch my snake eat a rat'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. new tatoo question! help needed!
    By Mr. Flippy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 2009-10-02, 22:53
  2. Help quick! Paper airpline design
    By thestalkmore in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009-04-03, 13:15
  3. Famous/Favourite 19th or 20th century designer. (help)
    By Elcura in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2007-02-27, 21:42
  4. WAR/NIN help plz
    By cyphx in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2006-04-28, 14:11
  5. Need help on money making methods
    By in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2004-09-16, 21:57