Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59
  1. #1
    the apple of knowledge
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    246
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Advice on settling in @ Canada

    Just about to make the move from Bonny Scotland to Canada, going to be around the GTA but to start with will be in Caledonia. Anyone have advice on how to settle in when doing a big move like this? I was over for a month last autumn and really liked it, everything from Timmies with doughnuts, the people (very polite and friendly) to the scenery.

    Thanks in advance

    C

  2. #2
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,297
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    don't fall asleep on any busses

  3. #3
    You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26,424
    BG Level
    10

    Learn hockey. Love hockey.

  4. #4
    Everybody's Favourite Nobody
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,199
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

    I wonder how long it takes for you to realize that the people are not very friendly at all, the scenary is desolate and ugly nearly all the time, and Tim Horton's isn't that great either and you begin to hate the word "timmies".

    Of course, I could just be speaking about my city.

  5. #5
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    553
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    never call timbits anything but timbits even if they are labeled something else.

  6. #6
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    451
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Hydraxis

  7. #7
    Can you spare some gil?
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,781
    BG Level
    8

    Walk around your town in the buff, mumbling about the flaws in operation black shield.

  8. #8
    the apple of knowledge
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    246
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by Metah View Post
    I wonder how long it takes for you to realize that the people are not very friendly at all, the scenary is desolate and ugly nearly all the time, and Tim Horton's isn't that great either and you begin to hate the word "timmies".

    Of course, I could just be speaking about my city.
    I realise there is "the grass is greener on the other side" syndrome, i have heard that some brits feel that Canadians are passive aggressive that suits me fine. Scotland has some nice scenery too but the levels of litter and ugly council housing is ruining it. I'm sure the novelty of paying 1/3rd of the price for nice coffee will wear off but when you pay £2.50 (£1=$1.50 atm) a coffee (not necessarily drinkable) i'm sure i can live with that.

    Learning to love hockey might be difficult though i must admit was on the edge of my seat watching the Olympic final Vs the US.

    don't fall asleep on any busses
    Would be very dangerous doing that in some parts of Scotland any particular reason for saying that?

    Keep the advice coming

    C

  9. #9
    Fake Numbers
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    75
    BG Level
    2
    FFXI Server
    Siren

  10. #10
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    959
    BG Level
    5

    You're leaving Scotland.. frankly anywhere in the world would be better lol.

    I've been in England now for just over a year and I'm happy to have seen the back of that shit hole lol.

  11. #11
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    804
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

    Watch Red & Green or something.

  12. #12
    Can you spare some gil?
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,781
    BG Level
    8

    wow, what the fuck?!

  13. #13
    Fake Numbers
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    75
    BG Level
    2
    FFXI Server
    Siren

    2 years old or so, its been awhile?

  14. #14
    the apple of knowledge
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    246
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by yash View Post
    2 years old or so, its been awhile?
    Its 2 years old, happens all the time,
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...t/10272588.stm

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...t/10147930.stm

    thats just in the last 2 few weeks, Scotland has the highest homicide rate in Europe, with Glasgow being the most violent city in western Europe.

    Kumbai- everyone is different and London is very different from Scotland. Were where you from in Canada? Have you come across many chavs/neds yet?

    C

  15. #15
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    586
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Metah View Post
    I wonder how long it takes for you to realize that the people are not very friendly at all, the scenary is desolate and ugly nearly all the time, and Tim Horton's isn't that great either and you begin to hate the word "timmies".

    Of course, I could just be speaking about my city.
    Hehe first impression I got , than i moved out from ontario. IS true canada now

  16. #16
    preachy and pretentious
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,801
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovian View Post
    Just about to make the move from Bonny Scotland to Canada, going to be around the GTA but to start with will be in Caledonia. Anyone have advice on how to settle in when doing a big move like this? I was over for a month last autumn and really liked it, everything from Timmies with doughnuts, the people (very polite and friendly) to the scenery.

    Thanks in advance

    C
    And so another CD member moves in closer.

  17. #17
    Bagel
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    959
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovian View Post
    Kumbai- everyone is different and London is very different from Scotland. Were where you from in Canada? Have you come across many chavs/neds yet?
    I was born in Edinburgh and I lived in Livingston for 17 years lol. I moved to London last year.. so much nicer down here~ even the accents are more pleasant lol. Only been to Canada/America on Holiday

  18. #18
    the apple of knowledge
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    246
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

    Quote Originally Posted by Kumbai View Post
    I was born in Edinburgh and I lived in Livingston for 17 years lol. I moved to London last year.. so much nicer down here~ even the accents are more pleasant lol. Only been to Canada/America on Holiday
    LOL sorry thought you ment you had moved from Canada to London. Doing a bigger changer but enjoyed my visits to London just too expensive to try and live down there just now not to mention the economy is so bad just now.

    C

  19. #19
    Very Sexy Nerd
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,739
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Be careful, if you die in Canada you die irl.

    J

  20. #20
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    821
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    I'd love to go meet my family in Scotland and get out of this awful city.. I used to enjoy it, but Toronto really sucks. Everything closes at senior-citizen hours and the damned breakfast at places has a time frame. What's with that?
    Anyway, advice would be to learn to hate public transit (it only gets worse); walk left-stand right, no matter what the damned sign says; if you don't like hockey you must at least enjoy ice-fishing; always say sorry, whether it was your fault or even whether or not it is relevant; always give a neutral reply to the question "How're you doing today?".. nobody is listening anyway... sorry.
    There's my big pre-Toronto welcome! If you want any Toronto-specific stuff answered, feel free to send me a PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need advice on a new phone. Blackjack vs Nokia N75
    By Vade in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2007-07-26, 21:26
  2. Computer problem & advice on buying new one..
    By Demetrio$ in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 2005-09-04, 13:59