1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 20 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 3 hours, 48 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 13 hours, 11 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 20 hours, 48 minutes

View Poll Results: Is it too soon to start charging.

Voters
261. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we are going to pay for a beta test of a new version.

    185 70.88%
  • No, the game has matured greatly and we are ready to pay for it.

    76 29.12%
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 168
  1. #1
    Ranger
    9900klub

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,976
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries
    12

    XIV2.0 FAST POLL: Is it too soon to start charging for the game? (READ MORE INSIDE)

    My question to you BG, is it too soon to start charging for XIV, what with the system weve seen being completely tableflipped and a new game being launched, should we start paying for what will essentially be a beta of a 2.0 game?

    Answer now and quick, and comment and spread the news, you have a few days only until this information is passed to the development leads.

    DONT GET YOUR FANBOY ON, ANSWER HONESTLY, DONT BE A FUCKING SHEEP.

  2. #2
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,552
    BG Level
    6

    Yes, it's too early.

  3. #3
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Way too soon.

  4. #4
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,843
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    i said yes its to soon , the interface is still far from ok, it shouldn't take me 10 secs to see whats in my look pool or what gear im wearing or whats in my invo etc. that amount of lag just to view your items is unacceptable. jobs seem fairly unbalanced as things are now. the quests system has its goods and bad namely the massive lag when loading the default map , the map not keeping storyline quests "!" on it by default . there is also all the issues with tracking of a player vs the monster in position to each other in battles.

    tldr : To much game and menu lag still

  5. #5
    THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU
    Avatar of Fury.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,584
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Personally, I think it is too soon to be charging at a standard MMO rate. Due to the state of the game, as well as the original outline being that the game would be F2P until it was in a stable development point (and right now, it's obviously not), I would be more receptive to a reduced rate if they absolutely must charge.

    If it is strictly F2P vs. P2P, I fall more into the F2P camp.

  6. #6
    >The Implying
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,039
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

    I think with the way the game has been (for the most part) steadily improving as was promised since the director change, including boss battles that actually seem to require some degree of strategy to win in comparison to how everything was straightforward in FFXI (throw people at it, guys), I'd now support paying monthly.

    There are still interface/connection/algorithm problems that I'm concerned about though.

    Not to mention, if the game starts getting paid for, we're might actually see more improvements at a faster rate.

  7. #7
    Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,197
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

    I feel like I am trying harder than I normally would to like this game. I really shouldn't have to try to like it, I should like it. I am sure there are others who agree. The game still feels unfinished. The minority would actually consider paying for it either way though. The majority will vote they don't want to pay regardless of the product though. as there are probably people playing FFXI who wouldn't want to pay for that game if they could get away with it.

  8. #8
    Ridill
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19,023
    BG Level
    9

    It's too soon.

    I feel like the game in its current state isn't worth a penny. It's better than a year ago for sure, but that only tells you how bad it used to be. Until the basics are fixed (UI, server, graphics etc), the game should not be charged for.

    Content is great, but personally without a solid base all the content becomes frustrating (evident with Ifrit).

  9. #9
    F5 Like A Boss.
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7,396
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

    Too soon imo. Charging could probably be considered after 1.22. Not at the moment...

  10. #10
    New Odin
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,825
    BG Level
    8

    From a standard MMO standpoint, it's too soon.

    This game isn't a standard MMO however, its playerbase is full of freaks and is tiny as fuck. They can start taking subs and we can choose not to pay. Those who do will justify this decision. Those people are SE's niche market up until 2.0.

    The rest of us is free to move on.

    Basically, "too soon" for what? Are we acting that XIV is one of the big boys now? It has its niche playerbase and for them, it's certainly not "too soon" if they're willing to pay. They've got their CE's worth of playtime at this point already, no matter what the quality of said playtime might be. If they didn't enjoy it in some respect they wouldn't be playing in the first place, its that simple.

    Oh, and I'm definitely not going to pay. Does that make me a sheep?

  11. #11
    Naver
    Guest

    If in a years time things have changed for the better, then I say yes considering all the good changes that Yoshi P has made in the time he has been producer. Hopefully as long as everything gets done that he is planning for, this game might make a dramatic change in the upcoming year until PS3 release.

  12. #12
    Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    30,320
    BG Level
    10
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

    Except FFXIV was meant to be 'one of the big boys', but considering the state of which the game is in.. it's considered less than that since it was a giant flop, lol. If it were some independent MMO with flaws, that's one thing, but it was meant to be SE's 'next big thing', so it's voted upon as such.

  13. #13
    New Odin
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,825
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Except FFXIV was meant to be 'one of the big boys'
    Yeah, that it is no longer, and has not been in a long time. Everybody is aware of this. The current subscriptions start with that in mind. The game is as niche as it gets and won't change before 2.0, regardless of SE's original intentions.

    It's not one of the big boys, and the sub isn't meant for people used to standard MMO quality. It's meant for the people who actually enjoy this game currently, on some level. They have certainly gotten their CE's worth and they are the ones SE is asking for a sub fee.

    This poll's options suck ass, by the way. Why even make a poll? Just go in with the results you've already decided on, saves all of us time.

  14. #14
    Dragoon Princess
    My Little Ixion

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,668
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Kaiyoko Star
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Destromath

    Too soon, but I'm willing to pay to see Yoshida's plan. I'd say that $6-8 per sub is most they should be doing atm. If at 2.0 they prove themselves w/ their plan, I'd be ready for $12-15 sub.

  15. #15
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,144
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    I chose too soon, but that comes with a caveat. If they're looking for subs as way to fund part of V2.0, I don't necessarily see a problem with that, but I think it's too soon to ask for full priced subs. If they wanted to charge people half price for XIV until 2.0 comes out I'd be fine with that, but for $13/month it's still too soon.

  16. #16
    Relic Horn
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,300
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

    I have a question: wouldn't it make more sense to do a different poll to see who's paying and who isn't?

    I think most people are going to agree that yes, it's too soon to start paying for the current game. Those who are willing to pay are most likely doing so because they want 2.0 to happen, not because the current game is ready. They probably know XIV is not ready, but are going to pay anyway.

    Unless I'm missing something, what will this poll accomplish? They know their product is not ready (otherwise they wouldn't be making a new game), and I'm sure they expect fans to think the same. They're just hoping the future is enough for some fans to pay.

    No way of knowing for sure, but I fear the poll will be skewed by those who are paying and simply want an option that supports their decision. Perhaps we could simply add more voting options? Such as:

    -I think the game's ready and I'm willing to pay
    -I don't think the game's ready but I'm willing to pay to support 2.0
    -I don't think the game's ready and I'm not willing to pay
    -I think the game's ready and I'm not willing to pay


    EDIT: Not flaming or BRPing or anything, just genuinely curious and trying to help.

  17. #17
    Yoshi P
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,144
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Fitz Everleigh
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    He's probably right as I think it's too soon, but I'm still willing to pay to see the outcome half or full priced regardless. Unless course the amount of people willing to pay isn't what this is looking to accomplish.

  18. #18
    New Odin
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,825
    BG Level
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, what will this poll accomplish?
    People who aren't willing to pay want to keep playing for free (we're talking about tens of thousands of people here at best) while some people who aren't even playing and weren't going to play come in to throw their opinion based on what they would do in this situation.

    I don't see why these people think they have any say in the matter. To SE, they're using their service while they get nothing out of it except feedback that few thousand people can provide anyway. SE knows that they will vote with their wallets (lol, what? nobody is paying anything) and they don't care.

  19. #19
    THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU
    Avatar of Fury.

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,584
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Here we go...

  20. #20
    green jellybean
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,024
    BG Level
    6
    Blog Entries
    3

    I agree from a player standpoint its too soon to charge, but I don't for a moment think they are charging because the game is fixed. Do they need to start seeing some cashflow coming from the venture? Is this a way to cut the number of people who are just going to quit when it becomes subscription based down the road, is it to estimate their final server load?

    Regardless, I don't think we can change their business decision so I'm not sure there is a point in telling them "We won't Pay" I think from their perspective starting the pay service directly after releasing the job system is probably their best bet.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast