Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Windows ME     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,243
    BG Level
    6

    Windows ME

    So apparently there's a design flaw >.>

    At the log in screen, you merely have to click cancel instead of putting in a password and you're in.

    Is there any way that I can work around this and actually lock people out of my computer?

  2. #2
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    498
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Re: Windows ME

    Find disk of Windows 2000 and key
    Insert disk
    Format system with NTFS
    Install Windows 2000


    Done.

  3. #3
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,192
    BG Level
    8

    Re: Windows ME

    If you're insistent on staying with ME, set a BIOS password.

  4. #4
    Not Killing Ganon
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,262
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Siren

    Re: Windows ME

    here's the facts:

    there will NEVER be a fix for this. Microsoft no longer supports this OS they dont care if you run it, if you call them they will try to sell you XP/Vista

    ME was never a good OS, MS said so themselves

    you have 3 options really, deal with it the way it is, or upgrade to 98, xp, or 2k, or set a BIOS password if you wanna turn your PC off everytime so no one else can use it

  5. #5
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,315
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    Re: Windows ME

    So -you're- the person that actually used ME. Hi.

  6. #6
    2600klub
    I donated 5 bucks and all I got was this shitty title from Zet

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,688
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Re: Windows ME

    All versions of Windows prior to 2000, except NT, have this problem. I don't know if I'd call it a bug, but .... the only way to escape this problem is to set a BIOS password or format/install a newer Windows OS, either 2000, XP, or Vista, as others have said. I doubt a machine that's running ME would be able to run XP or Vista very well though. >.>

  7. #7
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    194
    BG Level
    3

    Re: Windows ME

    Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia
    So -you're- the person that actually used ME. Hi.
    Lol same thing I was thinking...

    ME was a joke when it came out :\ It has a ton of issues with drivers and kernal.dll blue screens and so forth, I would get rid of it ASAP. Then load 2k or XP.

  8. #8
    souleman
    Guest

    Re: Windows ME

    You know an OS is bad when the people that wrote it actually apologize for releasing it. How often does Microsoft actually admit to making a mistake (other then releasing ME).

    Like other said, set bios password and/or change OS. Depending on age of machine and what your doing with it, I'd be tempted to go with Linux before 2k/XP, simply because it will run faster.

  9. #9
    You think this is the real Dmitry?
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    Re: Windows ME

    My parents bought a Gateway with ME on it, and they only upgraded to XP...

  10. #10
    Campaign
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,192
    BG Level
    8

    Re: Windows ME

    ME was fine if you took the time to source a few dozen patches, hacks and tweaks.

  11. #11
    Black Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,720
    BG Level
    8
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    Re: Windows ME

    upgrade to windows2k.

  12. #12
    The Wang
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,343
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    Re: Windows ME

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry
    My parents bought a Gateway with ME on it, and they only upgraded to XP...

    what should they have upgraded(downgraded) to.. vista?

  13. #13
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    226
    BG Level
    4

    Re: Windows ME

    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry
    My parents bought a Gateway with ME on it, and they only upgraded to XP...
    First computer I ever bought was a gateway and it came with ME installed on it. Am I the only person to never have any serious problems with the OS? :\ I mean, sure I blue screened out a few times when a game required a newer directx driver, but it never took more than a few minutes to fix the problem. Sure it wasn't the greatest, most awesome OS but it wasn't that bad for me.

  14. #14
    You think this is the real Dmitry?
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

    Re: Windows ME

    Quote Originally Posted by Furtwangler
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmitry
    My parents bought a Gateway with ME on it, and they only upgraded to XP...

    what should they have upgraded(downgraded) to.. vista?
    The upgrade kept about all of the problems with me (The other day I just got an ME error and it's running XP). This is opposed to getting rid of ME and doing a clean install of XP.

  15. #15
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    787
    BG Level
    5

    Re: Windows ME

    Mistake Edition, go with 2000 or xp