Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Dammit Steve of the House of Weave
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,049
    BG Level
    6

    New rig not posting/posting/freezing

    Finally got around to ordering it.

    i7 930
    Asus P6X58D-E
    Nvidia 480
    12G(6x2) Gskill DDr3 1600
    Corsair hx750watt psu
    Mushkin 60G SSD
    Western Digital 500G HDD
    windows 7 ultimate 64bit

    Threw the thing together, and booted it up. For a few starts it didn't post. Eventually it did. I noticed that randomly it would freeze upon start up. After some time I got into installing windows on the SSD, and got nearly to completion when I got another freeze. Restarted again. Got all the way to windows, to which then I opened up IE to dl a driver for the 480, when again the system froze. This time when I restarted I can't even post. Right now I only have the cpu, 1 stick of ram installed(tried different slots), and the 480 in. I pulled out the battery and upon restarting I'll sometimes post, but soon after I'll freeze again. Now I'm stuck just restarting over and over until I hit post and trying to get into bios, but soon after I'll freeze again. Does it sound like the board is bad? Or something just configured wrong? I really need this new pc for work and don't want to send the mobo back for an RMA unless it in fact needs one. Any help would be great

  2. #2
    Chram
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,699
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Try reseating CPU, best I can think of from previous experiences.

  3. #3
    alt
    alt is offline
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    575
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Yeah, reseat everything and reset the CMOS. Have any other graphics card/memory/processor you can swap in and try? If none of that works it's probably a bad motherboard.

  4. #4
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    207
    BG Level
    4

    You sure it ain't shorting? I'd basic build it, cpu / mobo, 1 stick of ram, graphic card. And see how it goes.

  5. #5
    Dammit Steve of the House of Weave
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,049
    BG Level
    6

    Think I fixed it. Had the same problem last time I tried to install a new mobo on my old rig using the nvidia 480. For whatever reason, booting my system for the first time with the 480 causes it to freeze/not post a lot. I swap to my old 9800 and it boots first time and everything works fine. This time around, I only reseated the 480 instead of swapping to the 9800 since I figured that was the issue last time. Finally this morning I put the 9800 in for kicks and it booted up no problem without any freezing. Maybe it's something I'm doing or maybe it's an issue with the 480 in new motherboards, I duno. Downloading a 480 driver now and I'll swap back over to see if it fixes the problem.

    Edit: Installed driver, swapped cards, still won't post. 9800 runs the system fine, but the 480 doesn't work it seems. 480 was previously in my old rig and ran fine, just swapped it out last night when I put this new rig together.

    Also installed the 480 back into my old build. Won't boot up either. Looks like the 480 is dead, but it was just working yesterday? It was out of my computer for 5s as I transferred it from my old rig to the new... don't understand where it went wrong?

    Edit Edit: Finally got it working. Took many restarts to finally get the 480 running on my old rig. Afterwards I swapped it to the new one and everything booted up fine.

  6. #6
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,661
    BG Level
    6

    could be bios, it took a bios update for my mobo to post with my 5990. I've heard of people having issues with the latest series of nvidias on the p6x58d as well (I have the same board)

  7. #7
    My Little Ixion
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    8,016
    BG Level
    8
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

    Both power connectors for the 480 are plugged in? (I believe it has two 8-pin jacks)

Similar Threads

  1. Old Hd in a new rig
    By Rags in forum Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2008-02-21, 14:59
  2. Totally new stuff not working.
    By altwight in forum Tech
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2007-12-12, 18:42