Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Download Speed     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    I pullout to go pee.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,739
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

    Download Speed

    For some reason now (haven't noticed it before) my download speed is EXTREMELY slow. Downloading Finale (music program) currently at roughly 77 KB/sec. Went to Speedtest and got this for my results. http://www.speedtest.net/result/983389301.png

    Any ideas on what my problem might be?

  2. #2
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    7,839
    BG Level
    8
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

    If you're paying for 5/1 you're about where you should be. I'd look to your browser or torrent program for the reason.

  3. #3
    :3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    653
    BG Level
    5

    Downloading from torrents? Slow speed could be from poor seeds.

  4. #4
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,109
    BG Level
    6
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

    Pretty sure a 5mbit down connection is good for a lot more than 77kb/s, so therefore whatever server/seeders/whatever you are downloading from is causing this particular slowdown.

  5. #5
    Pandemonium
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,875
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

    Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    Pretty sure a 5mbit down connection is good for a lot more than 77kb/s, so therefore whatever server/seeders/whatever you are downloading from is causing this particular slowdown.
    Possibly, but not necessarily, so this shouldn't be presented as the certain cause.

    As Cephius mentioned, it may be software related on your end. It could also be hardware related -- your router could be causing the problem, for example -- even if you haven't had these problems in the past.

    If you haven't already set a specific port in your torrenting program and modified your router's settings to keep it open, I suggest doing so.

    http://www.utorrent.com/documentation/connection-setup

    Also, I've glanced through the guide linked below, and it's fairly comprehensive. It may appear daunting, but it goes so far as to say what advice may not help you and what should -- in short, it's honest -- and I personally prefer an excess of information to a lack of it.

    http://www.bootstrike.com/Articles/BitTorrentGuide/

    If you need further information, I'd Google.

  6. #6
    I pullout to go pee.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,739
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

    Yeah I got the message that my listening port was being block (says it can still download but the speed would be extremely slower). I have UPnP enabled but I guess I'm going to have to assign a specific port for it :/

  7. #7
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    499
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    I use the same server for speedtest.net. Where exactly are you from in NC? (not on topic but got me curious)

  8. #8
    I pullout to go pee.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,739
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Winterhoof

    Ha small town called Erwin. Near Dunn/Fayetteville

Similar Threads

  1. Download/Upload speeds
    By TacoTaru in forum Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2010-09-20, 12:22
  2. Safari download speed
    By jinkazama in forum Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2010-06-21, 21:46
  3. download speed question
    By Rulke in forum Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 2010-01-15, 21:32