BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Next Gen Nvidia Cards.

Can we talk about these? Holy mother of fuck, these things are simply amazing. (based on specs/paper)

And the price? Nothing short of incredible. I will getting one of these 1080's on day one. So glad I waited on not buying a 980TI. This thing will let me run 4k with relative ease. Beats a 980 SLI setup and 3x as beast as a Titan X for half the price. Fuck the founders edition for $100 extra IMO, I don't need a little extra OC and the aesthetic.

Also lol @ the guy selling a Titan X for $700.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It's been discussed in the PC Build advice thread, but yes these cards seem super impressive on paper. The price, power draw, and overall performance look great.

Btw the chart they showed of it absolutely annihilating a Titan X is in regards to VR, where the architecture has a bunch of new tricks. From 3dmark numbers that have appeared online (likely with not fully optimized drivers), it will definitely be beating performance of the 980ti/Titan X, though likely by only a few percentage points. Again though, that's with un-optimized drivers, and we're still talking about a card starting at a lower price then both of those.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ah sorry, didn't realize. Though, I think this deserves it's own thread. I have a 980 SC, so I think it will be worth it, especially streaming to my TV for 4k. I can still get a little bit for that, and do a 6 mo. interest free at MicroCenter, (not that I need to really) so why the fuck not.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm really hoping AMD drops some hot fire with Polaris, because goddamnit I do not want to use Nvidia again.

Gonna be hard though with how nice these cards look at initial glance

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

TLDR: 4k@60fps for almost every game.

It's appealing but um since I got my vive I havn't played a non-VR game, and my 970 is playing every single VR game @90fps w/ 0 drops ( as it's the target card for VR ).
    As much as these cards are sexy... they ain't gonna get me any more FPS in Lol/CSGO/ or my Vive games.

I _want_ to upgrade, but it's kind of the same as my 2600k - there's like... 0.5% of games I'd gain a benefit from, and I'm not likely to stop playing competitive multiplayer stuff anytime soon.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I sold my desktop about a year ago and the 980M in my laptop is starting to feel the strain of newer games, so I'm definitely due for a new desktop.

Coupled with the fact that I'm getting around a $400 a month raise next month, yeah it's gonna be a good time to build a new rig.

Also, breakdown of some of the new tech for multimonitor setups and whatnot

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-gtx-10...ures-detailed/

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Where does the 1070 sit in that chart?

Also I'm glad to not have brought my GTX 980 TI yet.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

2600klub

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

1070 still above a titan X apparently.

Basically very very nice cards.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Ah ok, and thanks 6souls for the video links!

Feels like an expansion to a MMORPG lol ... !

If Titan was the previous game's top level relic, then the 1070 is a quest reward.

Quick question then, is there any drawbacks to buying/adopting this card early? (Besides driver issues)

What I want to try and avoid is (although this is tech and is unavoidable, but still) that I buy this and they reveal yet more power models coming soon. Although, going by their patterns, a 1070/1080 is already considered Pascal Titan (if it exists) minus one, so we're already at that point. So the only thing to top it would be the next Titan and/or the 1080 v2 (Ti?) if it ever comes.

Sorry for the questions, but I've never kept track of this tech until I saw this thread!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Satori Komeiji
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Its been hinted at big but holy crap.

I got my 980Ti awhile ago. Holding off on upgrading until the 1080Ti or Pascal Titan shows up.

Mr. Bananagrabber

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Ah ok, and thanks 6souls for the video links!

Feels like an expansion to a MMORPG lol ... !

If Titan was the previous game's top level relic, then the 1070 is a quest reward.

Quick question then, is there any drawbacks to buying/adopting this card early? (Besides driver issues)

What I want to try and avoid is (although this is tech and is unavoidable, but still) that I buy this and they reveal yet more power models coming soon. Although, going by their patterns, a 1070/1080 is already considered Pascal Titan (if it exists) minus one, so we're already at that point. So the only thing to top it would be the next Titan and/or the 1080 v2 (Ti?) if it ever comes.

Sorry for the questions, but I've never kept track of this tech until I saw this thread!
    Unless there is some fundamental issue with the initial releases, there isn't any real problem with early adoption. GPU manufacturers generally don't overlap models, with a clear separation in price/performance ranges.

That said if you're not desperate to upgrade I'd wait to see what the various companies can do in terms of custom pcbs/coolers.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Krandor View Post
    I'm really hoping AMD drops some hot fire with Polaris, because goddamnit I do not want to use Nvidia again.

Gonna be hard though with how nice these cards look at initial glance
    This because if it does happen we all win. I do not necessarily feel I need to upgrade my crossfire 390x, but if I can somehow dump them for a good price I may have to.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I mean even if/when they put out a TI/Titan version, is anything else at this point even really needed? I mean unless you plan on running 3 monitors at once all in 4k, I don't see this thing being outdated anytime soon. Aside from 4k gaming (reliably) a 980 TI can pretty much handle anything you throw at it with no problem. With 4k, depending on the game, you can get anywhere from 30-50. Even on a 980, I can get almost 30 FPS on a lot of games such as Witcher 3 and other games (4K wise) This will be my last upgrade for quite some time. I'm going to wait to see people's personal results before buying immediately. I mean if it's doing Doom at 1080p for over 200FPS at points, there's no way it's not going to be able to do 4k at 60 fps.

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

I'm cruising /r/hardwareswap and hardforum's FS/FT for a HTPC gpu and I'm seeing 980ti's going from $420-$450 and 970's from $215-$230. The Nvidia fans are looking to dump for the new gpu after the news. More win for those that will buy used.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

is there a performance chart that shows how a single 1080 performs versus 2 980TI's running SLI? would very much like to know if it's still going to be a huge leap to get a single card or only if I were to buy two of them.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Modoru D'kkoru
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren

No such chart yet. Give it some time for the major sites to start dropping benchmarks.

I'm going to wait... Probably end up getting a used 970 for a while.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nmtd Natlhom
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl

Fuck, I'm really considering using this opportunity to drop a grand on a new monitor/vid card/power supply. Still rocking a 1680x1050 monitor from 7 years ago. A 2560x1440 @144hz would be a pretty sizable upgrade and I don't think my 960 would be up to the task on a lot of things.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

If a game that can keep me playing for more than 2 weeks comes out and is graphically intensive, I might replace my 670 with a 1070.

Not very likely though, I've learned of past mistakes of buying a top GPU and then having absolutely nothing to play after a couple weeks, most multiplayer games are not graphically heavy, hell, I can even play DS3 with the second highest config without any noticeable frame drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Drai View Post
    is there a performance chart that shows how a single 1080 performs versus 2 980TI's running SLI? would very much like to know if it's still going to be a huge leap to get a single card or only if I were to buy two of them.
    If you are looking at the same thing i saw, it was 2 980's not 980 TI's.

I will say i'm a little disappointed I was expecting a little more jump from my 980 TI, but it looks like it isn't that much better performance wise. Yes the power draw is amazing, but i would pay more for higher performance personally. Here is hoping for the 1080 TI. I don't plan on doing VR for another few years anyways (Nothing really worth it from what i've seen so far.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast