Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn & Red Alert 4K Remastered Collection - June 5, 2020

I don't know how I missed this, but better late than never;

Developed by Petroglyph Games (Original Westwood Devs)
    I’m thrilled to tell you we are going back to the beginning. We have decided to remaster Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn. And while this is incredibly exciting on its own, we’re also aware of how passionate the community is about the Red Alert universe. So, we will also remaster the original Command & Conquer: Red Alert™. But what about the classic expansion packs you may ask - Covert Ops, Counterstrike, and Aftermath? Well, C&C and Red Alert wouldn’t be the same without them, so all three expansion packs will be bundled with the base games into one remastered collection - without microtransactions.

In addition to the excitement and support of this remaster initiative over the past month, there has also been a healthy skepticism that we can pull this off. How are we possibly going to remaster these titles while maintaining the authenticity of the original experiences? Bottom line, there is no better way to achieve this than to partner with some of the talented developers who brought these original games to life.

So, after years of the fans asking for their involvement, I am humbled to announce that EA is going to partner with Petroglyph Games to develop the C&C remastered collection.

Petroglyph Games includes many of the original developers from Westwood Studios, and some of the most influential members of the original Command & Conquer development team from 1995. Joe Bostic is known as the co-creator of C&C, having also served as the Lead Programmer on Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert. Steve Tall joined Joe as a Lead Programmer on Red Alert, and Mike Legg contributed to all forms of audio systems at Westwood, having been an employee since 1986! All three members helped start Petroglyph Games in 2003 after the closure of Westwood and are joined by a veteran group of RTS developers from the past 15+ years. And don’t think we haven’t noticed the #1 request from the community in all the comments from the past month... You want Frank Klepacki. So as a cherry on top for the fans, we are thrilled to announce that Frank will be re-joining Petroglyph Games to be our Composer and Audio Director for the remaster collection!
    On a personal note, I can tell you the past few weeks have been surreal. During my first visit to Petroglyph, I was able to brainstorm “C&C feel” with Joe, sit with Frank and hear him recite Commando lines, and gab with Steve about whether we should fix the Tib Dawn Harvester AI. Getting to chat C&C with the original developers has been one of the highlights of my gamer journey, and I can’t wait for all the incredible conversations to come.

In addition to the fantastic team at Petroglyph, we will also be partnering with Lemon Sky Studios to help bring these original games to 4k glory. Lemon Sky is one of the premier art studios around the world, with a unique specialty in remastering classic RTS titles. After meeting their team and hearing their passion for C&C, we are incredibly lucky to have them team up with Petroglyph to develop the highest quality C&C possible.

The exciting part is that we haven’t started development yet. The community is literally getting in on the ground floor of this project and have every opportunity to help influence how we build this remastered experience. Please continue to engage on Reddit and community channels and help us create the best possible remasters of C&C and Red Alert!

Welcome Back, Commander!

Jim Vessella
    https://www.ea.com/news/details-comm...uer-remastered

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Shut up and take my money!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

it feels kinda wrong to drag the corpse of the game/company that you killed out of incompetence back to the remaining members of its family and say FIX IT SO WE CAN GET PAID

they should also give them the westwood name back if they so desire it

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Red Alert 2 is my favorite C&C so hopefully it gets the same treatment

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Holy shit, so excited for this. PLEASE CAN WE ALSO RECEIVE TIBERIAN SUN/FIRESTORM?!

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    it feels kinda wrong to drag the corpse of the game/company that you killed out of incompetence back to the remaining members of its family and say FIX IT SO WE CAN GET PAID

they should also give them the westwood name back if they so desire it
    That's EA, though. They are the worst. Activision is trying so hard to catch them, though.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

Crazy to believe it’s nearly been one year since we formally announced the C&C Remaster and began development with Petroglyph Games and Lemon Sky Studios. To celebrate this milestone, today we’re excited to showcase one of our biggest reveals on the journey so far - a first teaser of the game in action!

And with this teaser comes an answer to one of your key questions from the past year:

“Is the Remaster going to be in 2D or 3D?”

We’re ready to share the Remaster has been developed in the classic 2D visual style, unlocking our ability to stay as authentic as possible to the original games. Below we’d like to provide more details on how we’re approaching these visuals, and why we felt the 2D style was the best fit for the project.

As you may remember from one of the first posts, our plan is to remaster (not remake) the classic games. Creatively, this means our guiding light has always been to remain authentic to the original feel, and we’re constantly on the lookout for ways to achieve that goal. When we recovered the source code to C&C Tiberian Dawn and C&C Red Alert, this gave us a viable avenue to accurately match the core gameplay, feel, and signature look of the legacy titles. We felt the 2D style was the best way to bring all these elements together, and ultimately achieve the authenticity we were looking for.

It’s been wonderful to see the passionate, artistic care taken by Lemon Sky and the team with this creative approach. Lemon Sky has re-concepted, re-modeled, and re-animated every gameplay asset from scratch - examples of which you’ve seen with the Construction Yard and Tesla Tank. Once it reaches the final stage as seen in those previews, we render and export the assets in 2D so they lineup frame for frame with the original visuals. In some cases like the Grenadier, this can mean over 600 frames for a single unit. This creative process has allowed us to modernize the game assets as you originally imagined them, and stay true to the gameplay you’ve known and loved for 25 years.

In addition to the authenticity, we’re excited to reveal an extra benefit of this 2D approach is that Petroglyph has been able to utilize their deep familiarity with the source code to enable the real-time switching of Legacy / Remastered graphics in Campaign missions. This means at any time when playing a Campaign mission, you can tap a single key to smoothly toggle between the original assets at 320 x 200, to the Remastered assets up to 3840 x 2160. Playing with this toggle over the past several months has been a true joy, and we believe will be one of your favorite features in the Remaster. Along with the real-time toggling, you’ll have the ability to zoom the camera to take in all the high definition detail, with an effective zoom distance between the DOS and C&C Gold camera heights.

You can see an example of these features in action in the associated video above (just in case you made it this far and haven’t watched it already). To get an even better feel for the visual difference, we encourage you to visit our new website site at: ea.com/command-and-conquer-remastered

Here you can use an interactive component to see the Legacy / Remastered visuals playing side by side. Keep in mind some of the assets you’re seeing in these videos are still in progress (I’m looking at you, Tiberium Silo), as we’re continuing to fix bugs and polish items based on feedback from our colleagues, the Community Council, and all of you.

We’re eager to hear your thoughts on everything you’re seeing in this post, so please share your comments in the thread below. Thanks for your support and participation, and looking forward to sharing more game assets in the months ahead.

Cheers, Jim Vessella
    https://www.ea.com/games/command-and...ameplay-teaser
    http://www.ea.com/en-us/games/comman...uer-remastered

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

June 2020

Spoiler: show

Welcome back Commanders! In celebration of the Command & Conquer 25th anniversary, Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:EA) today announced the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection, a compilation of the iconic real-time strategy (RTS) games that defined a generation will be available June 5 worldwide on PC via Origin and Steam, and as part of an Origin Access Premier subscription. Comprised of Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn, Command & Conquer: Red Alert and their three expansion packs - Covert Ops, Counterstrike and The Aftermath - the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection is a passion project between EA and some of the original Westwood Studios team members at Petroglyph.

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection is being created alongside the C&C community, where the project was publicly revealed in October 2018 to gather community insight before development began. An active Community Council has been involved since early pre-production with 24/7 access to the development team. The title features rebuilt graphics and textures with support up to 4K resolution, along with an over seven-hour soundtrack remastered by the renowned original composer Frank Klepacki. The community has helped shape the enhancements of the game through highly requested features like revamped UI, updated controls and a Map Editor for fans to showcase their creations. Multiplayer has been rebuilt from the ground up to support a modern online experience with custom games, 1v1 quick match, Elo-based matchmaking, leaderboards, replays and much more.

“Our team has been working hand-in-hand with the C&C community since day one and we hope this transparent dialogue will result in the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection being a love letter to our fans,” said Jim Vessella, Lead Producer at EA. “We’re taking the classic gameplay that ushered in a new era of the RTS genre and adding the most fan requested features like Skirmish mode for Tiberian Dawn, quality of life control improvements, and full Steam integration with UGC support. For me personally, having been a C&C fan since I was 12 years old in 1995, working with the original Westwood Studios team members at Petroglyph has been a dream come true.”

The pre-orders include:

• Command & Conquer Remastered Collection (Digital) - $19.99 USD - Only available on Origin and Steam and includes the remastered versions of Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, plus all three expansion packs (Covert Operations, Counterstrike, and The Aftermath), and tons of bonus features and improvements.

• Special Edition (Physical) - $59.99 USD - Only available on Limited Run Games, this edition comes in a 2-piece big box with embossing treatments and includes a Steam digital download code, Tiberium crystal 16GB USB drive with remastered original soundtrack (119 tracks, over 7 hours of music including the album, “Frank Klepecki and the Tiberian Sons: Celebrating 25 Years of Command & Conquer”); reversible 18” X 24” poster, four factional enamel pins, tech tree prints (one for each faction), and faction sticker sheet.

• 25th Anniversary Edition (Physical) - $149.99 USD - Only available on Limited Run Games, this edition includes all items in the Special Edition plus a beautiful foil and embossed rigid box, six-disc remastered original soundtrack signed by Frank Klepacki, 100+ page art book, four faction patches, reversible beanie, metal mammoth tank replica, and painted PVC light and sound tesla coil and obelisk replicas.

The Command & Conquer series helped cement the foundation of the RTS genre’s core gameplay when Command & Conquer: Tiberium Dawn was released in 1995, introducing innovative faction mechanics with asymmetric unit creation and technology trees for a highly strategic experience. In addition to gameplay, the series pushed the boundaries for storytelling with its unique and lighthearted full-motion video (FMV) cutscenes, ultimately creating one of the most recognized villains in games with Kane, the megalomaniac leader of The Brotherhood of Nod. In Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn, Earth has been overrun by Tiberium and while GDI (Global Defense Initiative) aims to contain the material, The Brotherhood of Nod looks to harness its power, leading to all-out war between the factions. Command & Conquer: Red Alert is set in an alternate universe where the Soviet Union wages war on the Allies in a fun, action-packed, tactical RTS game.

Command & Conquer Remastered Collection is being developed by Petroglyph, Lemon Sky Studios, and EA, including some of the original Westwood Studios team members at Petroglyph, and will be available on PC via Origin and Steam on June 5. Origin Access Premier subscribers will also get full access to the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection on PC on June 5 for as long as they are subscribed.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ed_Collection/

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Red Alert as well?!!? Fuck yea!

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Real shame being they couldn't source the original uncompressed tapes for the games despite giving an honest attempt to find them, but at least the music is going to be rocking since Frank went back and remastered the whole soundtrack. I want the signed CDs but hell if I'm paying USD$150 for it to have all that other stuff I don't need. A lot of game there for $20 so I'll be nabbing that shit.

The music will definitely be the absolute highlight of this package for me.

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

I listened to the fuck out of the Tiberian Sun soundtrack that was on my PC CD. It was only 10 tracks or so but I can still hear it.

I'm hyped for the remake but a little disheartened knowing that the best content they can make is a remake of material before EA got their hands on it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandc...game_finaling/

tldr, game still coming out June 5, collectors editions wont ship til the fall but you'll get a Steam code

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandc...e_mod_support/

Source code being opened up to the community.
    Mods will definitely be a thing
    No LAN play at launch (due to Covid)

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Excellent move. Pushed it to a guaranteed by for me. The first EA buy since freakin Sim City.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Pre-load is available on Steam + Origin

It's also the Top Global Seller on Steam atm

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

KANE LIVES

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

We’re now 24 hours away from the worldwide launch of the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection. It’s crazy to think how less than two years ago the project didn’t even exist, and now here we are on the verge of coming together to enjoy the launch of a C&C title on PC. On a personal note, the development with Petroglyph and Lemon Sky has been one of the most incredible experiences of my career. But I would argue the collaboration with the community here on Reddit, and with the Council on Discord, has been the absolute highlight of the journey. Thank you to everyone in the C&C community for their encouragement, positive energy, and engagement throughout this project. We certainly hope the game lives up to your expectations when you begin playing, and can live on with the community as you begin delving into the source code and UGC tools.

Over the past 18 months, transparency has been at the core of the interaction I wanted to have with all of you in the community. I would thus be lying if I didn’t say 2020 has been a tough year, and at times it’s been difficult to stay positive and hopeful. I simply wanted to say how grateful I am for everyone in the community who has expressed their support of the project and our teams. While we hope the Remastered Collection can provide a positive event for all of you in this time, we do not want the launch to take away from the events happening in the world. Please stand together, stay safe, and support your communities during these moments.

With regards to the launch, we’ve always had several items planned for the next 24 hours. Be sure to join us on YouTube to view our Launch Trailer as the game goes live at 10:00am PDT on June 5th. And then rumors have been circling about the return of an infamous leader, along with the leak of classified intel from HQ…

As we come together to view this content and participate in the game itself, please continue to stay positive and respectful within our C&C community and with others. Thanks again for all your support, and we hope you enjoy the Command & Conquer Remastered Collection.

Cheers,

Jim Vessella

Jimtern
    https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandc...ldwide_launch/

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus