Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    158
    BG Level
    3

    So I ran some anti-virus programs...

    And now I'm screwedddd.

    Okay, so that person posted the thread in advanced discussion about keyloggers. He listed off 4-5 free anti-virus programs to use to detect viruses, w/e. So I downloaded the first three on the list, updated them, ran them...

    And as I ran them, I turned around and watched some tv. I saw they were finished, clicked delete infected files, and then I timed out from ffxi and firefox or IE wouldn't load any websites. I was still on AIM or MSN, so I figured it was just a fluke thing and I rebooted my pc.

    Well..when I relogged, I had firewalls up the ass on everything. My XP firewall, which was previously off, was set by a group policy so I couldn't change it. My internet connection was firewalled (it was before, but not this extent, I don't think...). I can't get on AIM, MSN, IE, or FFXI now. It's not my internet, I'm making this post on my laptop which uses the same connection. The anti-virus programs I used (or atleast one of them) set up some dumb invisible firewall that I can't get rid of. I quickly uninstalled the anti-virus programs but this (it seems to me to be) invisible firewall is still here.

    I turned off my XP firewall but the I still can't get online. My network connection status says connected, so I think the internet is fine but there's something dumb that's blocking all my programs from being used.

    Can anyone help? I'm not good with computers.

  2. #2
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    871
    BG Level
    5

    Re: So I ran some anti-virus programs...

    Use system restore to get your computer back to the way it was before installing the virus scanners.

    1.
    Click Start.
    2.
    Point to All Programs.
    3.
    Point to Accessories.
    4.
    Point to System Tools.
    5.
    Click System Restore.
    6.
    Follow the instructions on the wizard.

    I don't know what the other thread said but I would only use: AVG, Adaware, and Spybot. Uninstall all of them after scanning if you don't want them raping your computers resources.

  3. #3
    New Spam Forum
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    158
    BG Level
    3

    Re: So I ran some anti-virus programs...

    Thanks, it works now.

  4. #4
    Cerberus
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    498
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    Re: So I ran some anti-virus programs...

    can't go wrong with Avast!
    Also, I'd suggest making up a backup fairly soon. You might have some nasty surprises

Similar Threads

  1. Anti-virus programs/suites
    By Boyiee in forum Tech
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 2012-06-03, 20:57
  2. Windows Server 2008: Anti-Virus?
    By Kohan in forum Tech
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2009-01-12, 14:01
  3. Good payed-for Anti-Virus
    By Aro in forum Tech
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2009-01-09, 09:06
  4. Computer/Norton Anti-Virus Question
    By hexagram23 in forum Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2008-10-14, 23:17
  5. Anti-Virus: Advisory?
    By A-Chaos in forum Tech
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2008-08-01, 15:13
  6. Anti-Virus Software suggestions
    By alt in forum Tech
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2007-09-14, 15:42