• Navigation
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Chram
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,581
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    Looking for a new video card(under 200 bucks)

    So I've been looking for a new video card since we have finally got caught up on all our bills since moving a few months ago, and have some extra money.

    I have always gone with amd processor and ati video cards mostly because I'm cheap, and they've always performed well for me. That said, I'm not opposed to buying a nvidia card if I can find something that will perform better for less money.

    I was looking on newegg at the radeon 7950 for around $210. Looking for 2-3gb on the card

    My only other concern is that my motherboard is pci-e 2.0 and the card is 3.0. I've read that most video cards don't max the throughput through 2.0 yet so there won't be any loss in performance vs using a 3.0 mobo. Is this true?

  2. #2
    Groinlonger
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,963
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125466

    Slightly higher than $200, but it's a pretty big upgrade in regards to what you're looking at. It's the best performance/price ratio in the market right now for what you're looking at. I don't think you'll need to worry about PCIE throughput bottlenecking you unless you play in super high resolutions.

  3. #3
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    BG Level
    6

    Best you can get for under $200 right now: $180 HD 7950, or wait a couple weeks for new AMD cards to come out either they'll be better or nVidia will drop prices. For a single card/single monitor then 2.0 is fine.

  4. #4
    Chram
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,581
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    yea i think thats the exact 7950 i was looking at, probably going to end up waiting a couple of weeks before i have enough saved up for it anyways, so i'll probably see what happens with the new amd cards

  5. #5
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    243
    BG Level
    4
    FFXIV Character
    Mirai Amariyo
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    You may be interested in this
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/25/a...7-video-cards/

    Seems the low end one is sub $100, with the top tier up around $300

  6. #6
    Nidhogg
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3,790
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    spend the extra 50 and get a gtx 760

  7. #7
    You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    26,424
    BG Level
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125466

    Slightly higher than $200, but it's a pretty big upgrade in regards to what you're looking at. It's the best performance/price ratio in the market right now for what you're looking at. I don't think you'll need to worry about PCIE throughput bottlenecking you unless you play in super high resolutions.
    I'm in the market for a new one too, this just solved that for me, thanks for the link.

  8. #8
    The Fucking Voice of Actually
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    11,057
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries
    6

    I just can not consider putting money on a 760 until they stop being coy and clearly state if a 760 Ti is or is not on the way.

  9. #9
    Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,263
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries
    4

    I'm waiting too on the release of the R series and the subsequent price drops. If the 760 gets to $200 then I'll grab it. Otherwise it will be a 7950. Still may be a 7950 if they announce Watch Dogs and/or Battlefield 4 to the free games list. With the price already hovering $180 and benchmarks showing it has the potential to overclock to perform comparably to a 670 I can't pass it up.

  10. #10
    RIDE ARMOR
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    11
    BG Level
    1

    I'd post a link if I could, but look for Tom's hardware's "Best Graphics Cards For The Money" Articles. They come out often and will give you a really good idea about what is good at what price point and why. At the time of the Sept 2013 Article, they recommended the Radeon HD 7870 ($195) for your price point and a tie between the Radeon HD 7950 Boost ($209) and the GeForce GTX 760 ($245).

  11. #11
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    811
    BG Level
    5
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

    If looking currently, AMD recently released their next new series: R5, R7, and R9 cards (numbers look like R5 220, R7 260X, R9 290X, etc, these are the cards after their 7000 series). Prices should fall a bit on their older high end stuff if they already haven't, like their 7950 and such cards, so keep looking!

  12. #12
    Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,263
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    If looking currently, AMD recently released their next new series: R5, R7, and R9 cards (numbers look like R5 220, R7 260X, R9 290X, etc, these are the cards after their 7000 series). Prices should fall a bit on their older high end stuff if they already haven't, like their 7950 and such cards, so keep looking!
    I haven't seen any drops yet, but I too will be purchasing a 7950 more than likely when they do drop. Or, if the 760 drops to a reasonable price I'll get that.

  13. #13
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    BG Level
    6

    tbh I think prices have happened/are happening, all the shops have been having massive sales as they are trying to get rid of their stock.

  14. #14
    Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,263
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries
    4

    Quote Originally Posted by Jojimbo View Post
    tbh I think prices have happened/are happening, all the shops have been having massive sales as they are trying to get rid of their stock.
    Online shops or locals? Lowest 7950 via pcpartspicker is $185 which is $5 higher than I've seen over the last month. Lowest 760 is $240. If anyone knows of lower prices please link!

  15. #15
    Chram
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,581
    BG Level
    7
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

    yeah i've been looking for someplace other than tigerdirect and newegg to order parts off of but those are the two places i tend to use the most. anyone know of someplace cheaper? i've been building custom pcs from barebones kits for people.

  16. #16
    Special at 11:30 or w/e
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    10,263
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries
    4

    I bought a lot of mine from Amazon, but because I had gift cards and credit card points I could use there. I really do not want to wait until mid November for Nvidia's price drop, but if AMD isn't going to budge on price I'll have no choice.

Similar Threads

  1. New video card for laptop
    By Spliffy in forum Tech
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2010-02-11, 13:44
  2. Looking for a new Graphics Card
    By Greatguardian in forum Tech
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2009-12-15, 23:50
  3. Looking for a new distro
    By Ikith in forum Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008-04-09, 20:02
  4. Problem with new video card/monitor.
    By Funk in forum Tech
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2008-01-06, 15:34
  5. New video card.
    By Blarg in forum Tech
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2007-08-26, 02:00