+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

Xenoblade | Definitive Edition (NSW)

I noticed this game never got its own topic, so I guess I'll start one now, since a huge trailer just came out:

I was keeping my eye on this game, but this latest trailer has finally gotten me excited for it. That "Visions" feature in the battle system is pretty sweet.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Look, if Xeno isn't followed immediately by gears, it isn't worth having.

That includes Xenosaga.

it's made by the same people actually, MonolithSoft

It's still called Monado in the U.S. though

I'm really looking forward to this game, along with Last Story and Arc Rise Fantasia it looks like this is the year we're finally going to get some good RPGs on the wii.

Doesn't take it for granite
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Looks very promising, but I keep seeing Xeno as a prefix

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I wish it came out for more than just the Wii. Looks really cool, but I have no plans to be getting one anytime soon.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Seeing the prefix "Xeno" and it not being related to Xenogears makes me cry a little. ;/

The game looks fun though, seems Monster Hunter-ish.

The battle speed looked kind of slow <.< I don't know, maybe it was just me.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I'm cautiously optimistic. can't tell anything about the story but I really like the environments and world design. the characters I'm a bit less enthused about, but they don't bother me either. the battles seem slow and somewhat awkward but it's really hard to tell. there seem to be a number of interesting gameplay elements, not the least of which is that intriguing PC chart with all the smilie faces. curious to see how that works.

I might pick this up, it'll depend on the reviews - not necessarily the scores, but what people actually have to say about the game. here's hoping it's a good one, because it has a lot of potential from what we've seen so far, and having the MonolithSoft pedigree does not hurt in the slightest.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Iwata Asks Lots of People About Xenoblade's Music: Find out why Monolith's upcoming Wii epic has six musicians.

Check out the latest crowd to assemble before Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata.
    http://www.andriasang.com/blog/2010/...2132415411.jpg

That's quite the assemblage of musicians you have there. Ignoring the guy to the left for a sec, you have Yoko Shimomura, known for Kingdom Hearts and Street Fighter II, and Yasunori Mitsuda, known for Chrono Trigger and Xenosaga. To the right of them are Manami Kyota and three members of ACE+, Chico, Tomori and Kenji Hiramatsu.

The guy to the far left is Tatsuya Takahashi, president of Monolith Soft, and director of Xenoblade.

Yes, this is the latest Iwata Asks column. The Nintendo CEO is for some reason focusing on music in what will presumably be the first of multiple Xenoblade columns. This is particularly interesting because Famitsu recently posted a big feature on the game's music, a summary of which you can read here.

Here's a bit of what everyone had to say to The Shacho.

The conversation took place at Monolith's headquarters, outside Nakameguro Station in central Tokyo. Iwata recalled when he lived in this particular area, from his fourth year of college to the first four years of his independent adult life.

Once he was finished reminiscing about his former home, Iwata asked Takahashi to describe his role on Xenoblade. Takahashi is actually "overall director," which in this case means he has a hand in everything from the start of the project to the writing of the scenario, all the way to debugging.

Takahashi proceeded to introduce the musicians who were next to him, noting that Xenoblade's sound component was made with this six person team.

Much of what he said here about Shimomura and Mitsuda was mentioned in the Famitsu interview. Takahashi has a long history with these two. For Mitsuda, the two worked together on Xenosaga. For Shimomura, while they've never done a project together, they were coworkers at Square.

As detailed in the Famitsu interview, Mitsuda's role in Xenoblade was to create the game's ending theme song, something that Takahashi wanted to have simply because of the "Xeno" in the title (the "Xeno" is just an homage to past Xeno games -- Xenoblade has no actual relation to them). Shimomura's role wasn't as clear from the Famitsu article, but here Takahashi said that he asked her to do such things as the game's main theme and opening song. The reason he selected Shimomura was because he wanted Xenoblade to have a different feel from his previous works.

Similar to Shimomura, Xenoblade represented the first time Takahashi has worked with Manami Kyota and the three ACE+ members. Takahashi was introduced to the four through Dog Year Records, a studio from legendary Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu. He ended up asking Kyota to do event and field songs. ACE+ was also asked to do field and event songs as well as battle music.

Kyota's dealings with Nintendo go a ways back, though. She did some music for 2009's Pokepark Wii and also sung (yes, sung -- not composed) the theme song for 2008's Glory of Heracles. She was asked by Dog Year Records if he wanted to work on composition for Xenoblade, and she jumped at the chance. She was particularly excited because she recalled having heard Shimomura and Mitsuda's soundtracks in games she played in junior high.

ACE+ is normally just ACE and consists of Chico and Tomori. When they add Hiramatsu, they become Ace+. Chico and Tomori had previous game experience through work on Minna de Tamagotchi for the Nintendo 64. Chico also sung the theme song for Luminous Arc 3 Eyes.

Moving on to a discussion of Xenoblade, Takahashi spoke about his concept for the game's musical component. He wanted to avoid focusing on a particular genre or instrument. Worried about giving the game a monotone image, he wanted to make use of a variety of instruments.

He also wanted to turn things up a bit for the RPG genre. Xenoblade is an RPG, and thus needs RPG-style battle scenes, but he wanted to use instruments that break that feel a bit.

Chico recalled Takahashi telling her from the start that he wanted to not deliver an RPG-like feel. However, he also said that he wanted them to do things normally, which left her a bit confused

Why the need for so many musicians? Takahashi explained that the game has 90 songs. This, Iwata said, seems to be a huge number.

Having music from so many musicians seems to have presented some challenges.

When requesting songs from someone like Mitsuda, because they've worked together so much in the past, Takahashi only had to detail the general atmosphere and he could leave Mitsuda to do his work.

However,, Takahashi had to be careful to keep the game's audio component from sounding scattered due to the individual color given by each musician. He came up with an image for the songs that he felt would fit each scene, and although he felt it might be a bit rude, he gave sample songs to the musicians and asked for something with the same feel.

Takahashi feels that, in the end, the game's aural component shows the personal qualities of the various composers while at the same time making it hard to see who made what.

Mitsuda seems to feel that making everything come together was one of his tasks. As detailed above, his work was just on the epilogue track. However, he felt that he had to make the ending connect with everything by summing up the prior pieces. This caused him great worries as he wrote his part.

Incidentally, the epilogue is a vocal track. The lyrics were written by Takahashi.

The group also discussed the Special Soundtrack CD that will be included with Xenoblade as a bonus item. This CD includes 12 songs. You can hear some samples at these links:

From Shimomura
    From Kyota
    From ACE+
    (If the links don't work, access them directly at the interview page)

With this Iwata Asks column and the Famitsu interview, it looks like music is a key component for Xenoblade. But there's obviously a whole lot more to the game, from its unique world to what will hopefully be an enjoyable combat system. The next Iwata Asks column will presumably cover these other areas, although Iwata will probably be speaking to a smaller group.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...noblade_music/

http://www.andriasang.com/blog/2010/...2132415064.jpghttp://www.andriasang.com/blog/2010/...2132415075.jpg
    With Yoko Shimomura and Yasunori Mitsuda (only 1 track) on board... I am now interested.

Either ways its an interesting read. lol @ the Xeno portion of the title being a homage. <3

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    The battle speed looked kind of slow <.< I don't know, maybe it was just me.
    Nah it does look a little slow, I was hoping when I first saw them engage in combat, that they were going to have a Real-Time battle system, but it just turns out to be a Real Time-Turn-Based battle system which makes me sad.

Although it does look fun and I probably will pick it up, hopefully this is just an alpha showing of the game, that or they have the option to speed up the flow of the battle system.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurokikaze View Post
    With Yoko Shimomura and Yasunori Mitsuda (only 1 track) on board... I am now interested.

Either ways its an interesting read. lol @ the Xeno portion of the title being a homage. <3
    I haven't heard a Yoko Shimomura Game Score since Legend of Mana, which I thought was pieced together amazingly, now I'm looking forward to hearing some amazing scores in this title.

I'm surprised they didn't mention Xenogears in Mitsuda's 'known for' part. That was probably some of his best work.

Anyways, everything sounds good so far. I'm a lot more interested in this now.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Once he was finished reminiscing about his former home, Iwata asked Takahashi to describe his role on Xenoblade. Takahashi is actually "overall director," which in this case means he has a hand in everything from the start of the project to the writing of the scenario, all the way to debugging.
    In before "we envisioned a massive game, but were forced to reduce its size by half, and now due to poor sales, the trilogy will be reduce to 2 games".

But seriously, oh god yes. Monolith soft made great game so far, and it looks like they got a solid team...it should have a decent story, with decent music at the very least..if they manage to complete it this time. I'm a sucker for beautiful environment, and this game, while not on par with ps3 graphic, still look very creative.

Xenoblade has no actual relation to them)
    Hopefully not! I want some very distant connection

Black Belt
    BG Level

Monolith need to stop using the name Xeno, it both give me false hope of what to come, and complete rage upon reminiscing Xenosaga.

Old Merits
    BG Level

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...mi_and_kizuna/

Article outlines some of the things shown in the above trailer. Character bond links, achievements, and city building.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    I haven't heard a Yoko Shimomura Game Score
    You're missing out then bro, all of the KH games have amazing music thanks to Shimomura

Dead serious, anytime I see Yoko Shimomura's name on something... I search out the music asap. Never disappoints.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Domon Kasshu View Post
    You're missing out then bro, all of the KH games have amazing music thanks to Shimomura
    ^ this

Also stuff like Legend of Mana or Front Mission. Also the music from FFXIII Versus trailer "Somnus".

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

First trailer (that I know of) for this game also had some sweet music in there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPI4WLEQ5as

This one's definitely Shimomura

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

the models in that trailers .. augh their hips stick out like 50 feet ._. and when they run they look like they're trying to hold their shit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenrien View Post
    augh their hips stick out like 50 feet ._. and when they run they look like they're trying to hold their shit in.
    You ruined that trailer for me! That's all I saw when I watched it lol. Still looking forward to it, though.

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by KuroTsuki View Post
    You ruined that trailer for me! That's all I saw when I watched it lol. Still looking forward to it, though.
    Well.. it is on the Wii so.. can't really expect much when it comes to detail.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast