Item Search
     
BG-Wiki Search
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 81

Thread: Kraken RNG?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

  1. #1
    Fishing Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,722
    BG Level
    7

    Kraken RNG?

    I'm trying to get some more detail on how kraken rng is played. From purely thinking about it, but never seeing it in action it seems with access to a kraken, RNG can be played 2 completely different ways.

    The first is obviously standard RNG, E bow setup, vulcans, build TP through RA, and WS. A great ranged dmg job that is a lot of fun but you need to constantly hold back as to not pull hate. This is obviously preferred at Odin, Ixion, or anything where you don't want to be within AoE range or feed a lot of TP to the mob.

    The second is kraken & hellfire +1 where RA'ing for TP actually slows down the TP build. So it's basically melee Kraken for tp, and only shoot for WS/Barrage? This would be preferred in merit pts, dynamis, and einherjar?

    I find this incredibly intriguing, because I just realized instead of leveling war, sam, or drk, I can modify a job I already have at 75 to offer me a completely different play style as more of a pure melee class. In addition, it sounds like it will be a blast to play, save 75 levels worth of exp pts, and inventory space.

    Before making some major changes to fund this such as selling gaiters, downgrading ixion cape to prism, downgrading genie lappas to igqira, downgrading E bow to Selene's, and obviously adjusting merits such as club to 8/8 I'd love to know how useful this setup really is, if it's enjoyable, and what type of events it is or is not useful at. Also do you predominately /nin because you're not holding back anymore and most likely pulling hate?

    tldr = any input from kraken rngs on how useful/not useful the job is would be great. Thanks

  2. #2
    rog
    rog is offline
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,874
    BG Level
    7

    it's pretty amazing for things like merit mobs or dynamis, but anything higher and rng's E club skill can really start to hurt.

  3. #3
    E. Body
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,053
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

    I'd really wait with meriting club (SE implied they might raise the weapon category merit cap, for now, if RNG is your only melee, I'd 8/8 marksmanship and 8/8 archery), and if it were me the only reason I'd sell e.bow is if I get vali's. If you have a lot of the fund already you could see if you like the playstyle by buying a mercurial kris (something that isn't suddenly going to drop in price but is actually available on the AH and in bazaars often). Just imagine a kraken RNG being basically twice as good.

    RNG can pull this off because of the incredibly broken (notrly) +48 ACC trait.

  4. #4
    rog
    rog is offline
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,874
    BG Level
    7

    If you have a lot of the fund already you could see if you like the playstyle by buying a mercurial kris
    except that mkris sucks.

  5. #5
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    319
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    Quote Originally Posted by cdgreguh View Post
    I'm trying to get some more detail on how kraken rng is played. From purely thinking about it, but never seeing it in action it seems with access to a kraken, RNG can be played 2 completely different ways.

    The first is obviously standard RNG, E bow setup, vulcans, build TP through RA, and WS. A great ranged dmg job that is a lot of fun but you need to constantly hold back as to not pull hate. This is obviously preferred at Odin, Ixion, or anything where you don't want to be within AoE range or feed a lot of TP to the mob.

    The second is kraken & hellfire +1 where RA'ing for TP actually slows down the TP build. So it's basically melee Kraken for tp, and only shoot for WS/Barrage? This would be preferred in merit pts, dynamis, and einherjar?

    I find this incredibly intriguing, because I just realized instead of leveling war, sam, or drk, I can modify a job I already have at 75 to offer me a completely different play style as more of a pure melee class. In addition, it sounds like it will be a blast to play, save 75 levels worth of exp pts, and inventory space.

    Before making some major changes to fund this such as selling gaiters, downgrading ixion cape to prism, downgrading genie lappas to igqira, downgrading E bow to Selene's, and obviously adjusting merits such as club to 8/8 I'd love to know how useful this setup really is, if it's enjoyable, and what type of events it is or is not useful at. Also do you predominately /nin because you're not holding back anymore and most likely pulling hate?

    tldr = any input from kraken rngs on how useful/not useful the job is would be great. Thanks
    id try tog et a vali' before sell ebow, hf+1 works great too, but valis offer alot of good stats, im not gunna get into one vs the other, they are both fine, the krakens gunna make more of a diff then either of those, next get a good haste build, the try to get the best accuracy options you can (sniper+1/toreador/divisor) in all the non haste spots, skadi are acceptable alternative to nq dusk/enkidu i guess depending acc, but if u can get a hold of a cor with some drk/hunters roll, your pretty much going to be unstoppable. as for barrage, many ppl will tell yous topping to use vs/ss/barrage will slow you down, and it prolly ill overall(by a very very very minute amount) but i still always do barrage when its up, may be a biased opinion cause of relic weapon > barrage etc.. <_<

    only one person in the last 3 years! has ever tied/come close to me eve, and that was a LS amano sam, and he was sam/war with red curry on mamools, i didn't even /war and used sushi, so there's still a whole world of potential to unleash there, provided i have some sort of healing mule(or use namas spammage technique which isnt bad at all, just not as fun :E) lol.

    in places like dynamis, KC rng is my absolute favorite combo, rng/war, pop some meat, god let the fun commence. you mentioned ein too, i usually bring melee gear, but be ready to shot/melee depending mobs.

    now dont get too addicted to the kc rng setup, cause theres always going to be a place for shotting rng, but i find KC rng great for all those events rng is sorta out of place (haste/march parties~) its also a little easier for soloing various things versus shotting RNG, but this might not affect some ppl cause many ppl ahve other jobs, i always try to be on rng for everything ;e

    tldr= Kc rng will beat just about any merit job without breaking a sweat, while tanking, and no need to hold back(usually the funnest part about this setup! 3sides on one mob!)

    i hope this helped, feel free to PM me if uve got more questions, and i can try to answer/clarify anything

    late edit: mkris does not compare to kraken in the least bit, it really does no compare at all, i had a kris before kraken and it was an exponential increase to get KC.
    even later edit: i have 4 club merits, but really only merited it cause it was like last of the useful things for the jobs i play the most

  6. #6
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,461
    BG Level
    7

    is it even possible to top Kc+ Culv(+1) rng?

  7. #7
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    319
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    if u got a mule that totally rapes, i did it with a few stack of shells before in dyn-sando (way pre vshot/cors and stuff) i remember doing a 3.?k i wanna say 3.4k EES to a whm orc, got an old ss somewhere ill find. I was SV'd, but god that was one of the best ees's i have done ever, even today, and i had a NQ culv then even. its a little more potent then a normal ranged weapon, but imo, not worth the hassle to do each and everytime, but have at it if ure lookin to have some fun, make sure u bring a full RR ear tho! lol. i usualy only break out the culv+1/HS combo for DL, maybe a few other zerg fights, but predominantly DL, i think only place culv+1 doesnt have a chance to beat is relic barrage

  8. #8
    Fishing Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,722
    BG Level
    7

    Thanks for the replies, especially you Matix. In an all-out zerg situation such as BV2, DL, or Kirin would you still use the Kraken, or stick with Vulcans using the classic RNG cycle of slug > barrage > EES > slug > wing > slug

  9. #9
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    319
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    i'd go the shooting route for those mob/situations always

  10. #10
    Old Merits
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    990
    BG Level
    5

    Instead of doing KC + Hellfire+1, do KC + Culverin +1 + 3 mule accounts standing next to you with inventories full of ammo.

  11. #11
    Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

    Vamos los Perds!

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,582
    BG Level
    9
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

    I started saving for a club as well, I also have DRK which amplifies its utility obviously. Really looking forward to it for dynamis / einherjar / merits and a number of other situations; at the current cash flow, I'll have one in a few months, assuming I can find a seller sub-45 mm.

    I won't argue whether it's better for DRK or RNG, but beyond those two jobs it's not even close. Not sure I'd want to carry around 12 stacks of Cannon Shells though, but I do have Alchemy on my main character at least.

    Cue the "it depends on your server," but it seems like 40 mm is where a lot of people are at on selling it.

  12. #12
    Fishing Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,722
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by matix View Post
    i'd go the shooting route for those mob/situations always
    Thanks that's what I assumed.

    On another note, I was chatting with our ls leader, who is a very good in-game friend, and he was worried about the extra TP spam it could create, especially in Einherjar. Have you run into this? Obviously if the dmg is high enough it can probably offset the additional TP being fed?

  13. #13
    Salvage Bans
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    825
    BG Level
    5

    Quote Originally Posted by cdgreguh View Post
    or stick with Vulcans
    Or Mekki Shakki?

  14. #14
    Relic Weapons
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    319
    BG Level
    4
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

    id never use the shakki <_<, but, that's my build :e, just be ready to shoot aswell in ein depending the mobs, but for the most part it should be fine.

  15. #15
    Fishing Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,722
    BG Level
    7

    Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    I won't argue whether it's better for DRK or RNG, but beyond those two jobs it's not even close. Not sure I'd want to carry around 12 stacks of Cannon Shells though, but I do have Alchemy on my main character at least.
    I am also considering leveling DRK eventually, it just makes more sense to me personally to buy the kraken first, enjoy it on rng, and while I slowly regain gil I'll level drk instead of spending a chunk of it leveling and then trying to buy it after.

  16. #16
    Sea Torques
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    535
    BG Level
    5
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

    Quote Originally Posted by cdgreguh View Post
    Thanks that's what I assumed.

    On another note, I was chatting with our ls leader, who is a very good in-game friend, and he was worried about the extra TP spam it could create, especially in Einherjar. Have you run into this? Obviously if the dmg is high enough it can probably offset the additional TP being fed?
    In Einherjar, assuming you have a decent sized group of 30+, you're going to have 8+ melees on a mob at any given time even if you are split /assisting. With that many march/hasted melees mobs will be getting tp about as fast as game mechanics allow them to use anyway so I can't really see it causing too many problems in Ein or Dyna but there are occasions where you might have to consider it.

  17. #17
    A. Body
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,108
    BG Level
    7
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

    Quote Originally Posted by residue View Post
    is it even possible to top Kc+ Culv(+1) rng?
    In my experience, definitely no. I gotta do some digging to see if I still have the parse lying around anywhere, but I did a party not too long ago with a couple ls-mates, myself as MNK/WAR, one as DRK/SAM and the other as kclub RNG, HQ culverin, and I think he spammed about 200k worth of food. I don't remember what the totals were at the end, the DRK and I were roughly tied, but RNG was ahead by a wide margin.

  18. #18
    Banned.

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10
    BG Level
    1

    Have done this a few times borrowing a friends Kclub, and have used in meripo against birds and in salvage. You definately have to modify your TP build quite a bit, acc>haste, especially against colibri (and sorry this is w/o any club merits but i just couldnt justify it) but I can honestly say it pwns the hell out of both of those situations. When using kclub rng against a pretty epicly geared apoc drk, rng came out on top, and that was with NQ hellfire. And I can honestly say this is the greatest thing to ever happen to salvage as it speeds up the kills so much.

    Definitely worth the investment especially if you are going to lvl drk, as thats a whole other level of pwn.

  19. #19
    VZX
    VZX is offline
    Relic Shield
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,700
    BG Level
    6
    FFXI Server
    Asura

    I've tried to toy around the idea on the melee gear setup. In the end, you'll most likely end at around high 370 melee accuracy with crab sushi, assuming you are focusing more towards haste for most of the TPing gear slot.

  20. #20
    New Merits
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    246
    BG Level
    4

    RNG/DRG KC TP Build

    Kraken Club / Wyvern Targe / Annihilator / Silver Bullet
    Walahra Turban / PCC / Wyvern Earring / Accurate Earring
    Skadi's Cuirie / Dusk Gloves+1 / Toreador's Ring / Toreador's Ring
    Cuchulain's Mantle / Speed Belt / Byakko's Haidate / Skadi's Jambeaux

    +26% Haste / +27 Dex / +46 Acc / +5 Attack / +7 STR

    Give you 59.5 Acc

    200 Skill base with 8 merits gives you 214.4 acc
    214.4 + 59.5 = 273.9
    273.9 Acc then with JTs giving +48 acc = 321.9.
    321.9 - 200 = 121.9
    121.9 / 90 = 1.3544444
    1.3544444 * 100 = 135.44
    135.44 + 200 = 335.44

    So thats a 335 skill weapon as acc with 26% haste ftw? Also with Annihilator you can WS enmity free and you got jumps to. There is no need for Acc food etc you can use C subs for more attack ftw ^^

    Btw missing out Annihilator and Skadi gear then that is my set up for when ding 75

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tarutaru RNG Woes
    By Genosync in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 2005-01-25, 01:41
  2. for taru rng....
    By Stigmatas in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2005-01-12, 14:59
  3. RNG equipment
    By Wolfreign in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2004-12-29, 10:35
  4. A question to the RNG's
    By in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2004-12-15, 09:33
  5. hmmm... a rng thinks drg is AWESOME at HNM...
    By in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 2004-12-06, 08:52
  6. RNG Equip
    By Shibs in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2004-10-26, 03:19
  7. RDM -> RNG
    By in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2004-10-19, 15:04
  8. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 2004-10-13, 01:22
  9. RNG and farming
    By in forum FFXI: Everything
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2004-08-19, 12:51